We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

Florida Native
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

My son and his new wife are joining us for Christmas eve/day and since we are staying in a small condo, we would like some recommendations for a nice place to celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day...ie dinner etc. We prefer a quality atmosphere to quality food, if a choice between the two must be made. Does Tucson have anything special to offer for a family event?

Level Contributor
638 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

Where exactly are you staying/which side of town. Most places will likely be opened for X-mas eve but most will likely be closed on X-day. What kind of food are you interested in? Give a little more info and we can steer you in the right direction. Enjoy.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,094 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

Restaurants close on Christmas Day? That would be a surprise to me. But it would be wise to call and book reservations ahead of time. Expect the nicest restaurants to be open and busy on Christmas Day, probably with special menus and prices.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

A lot of restaurants do prix fixe on Christmas, some have buffets, some are just outright closed. I would say about 70% of the restaurants in town stay open all day (almost all open for dinner) though, but many of those are fast food or cheap Mexican places.

If you want a Christmas-style dinner, then that would be one thing. But if you want a regular, order off the menu meal, then that may be a bit harder when you're looking for good atmosphere.

The local papers (Daily Star and Tucson Weekly) will publish lists of what will be open when we get closer to Christmas. I'll try and remember to post once those lists come out, although those lists are almost always geared toward Christmas-style dinners only.

hth

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,084 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

You may want to dine at one of Tucson's resorts, such as Loews Ventana Canyon, the Westin La Paloma, or J.W. Marriott Starr Pass Resort. They are all especially lovely during the holidays. My favorite for atmosphere, however, is the historic Arizona Inn in central Tucson.

Florida Native
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

Rumples, your suggestion for something historic, sounds lovely for Christmas dinner or Christmas eve. We would like something relaxing, not too commercial, which I am afraid some resorts might be. If we can't find such a place for Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, would do...In which case, I envision, a roaring fireplace, or a room with a view of the city lights. I like Mexican food but, for this Christmas, I think, a Continental menu would be better for our family. I'm thinking we could do a festive brunch somewhere for Christmas day. We are staying near Ventana Canyon.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

I agree regarding the Arizona Inn. Not only is their food and service good, but the ambiance (incl. the Christmas tree in the Libraray) is unique.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

I agree with Rumples on the Arizona Inn. Nit only are the food and service festive, but the decorations, especially the Christmas tree inn the Library, are unique.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

I agree with Rumples about the Arizona Inn. Not only are the food and service excellent, but the decorations - especially the Christmas tree in the library with its crackling fire - evoke a special "Chtsirmasy" feeling.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

Sorry about the multiple message. One says it all, the rest somehow didn't show up at first.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
2,084 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas Day dinner recommendations

Anthony's in the Catalinas has a nice dining room with a view of the city lights and offers continental fare, though it was quite average the last time I ate there.

Hacienda del Sol is a small resort and historic (former girls' boarding school). It is a charming place with a dining room that has separate sections for more intimate dining. Its continental fare is outstanding, and I think some tables look out at lights, but ask its staff if you pursue this suggestion.The Westward Look, though another resort, is known for its Gold Room restaurant, which overlooks the city and has good continental cuisine.The GR may be too large a space, however, for the atmosphere you seek.