We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quickest route from Lubec to St Andrews

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
quickest route from Lubec to St Andrews

in a couple of weeks we're planning a whale watching trip out of St Andrews but will be staying in Lubec. When looking at the maps there seems to be a couple of ways to get there ( not counting ferries). which would be the best route taking 1 the whole way or cutting off on 1, 214, 191 and 1 at Calais then 127 to St Andrews.

Will probably go the alternate way back to Lubec.

Would like to get in more sightseeing of the area between St Andrews and Campobello Is. will go whalewatching out of C I later in week.

4 replies to this topic
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quickest route from Lubec to St Andrews

Hi Garland!

By the time you're coming, the ferry between Campobello and Deer Island, New Brunswick, will be closed for the season. This eliminates the possibility of going by ferry to the New Brunswick mainland.

My favorite route is none of the ones you mentioned. And it happens to be the most direct as the crow flies. Take ME-214 and then go by way of Charlotte, Maine through the heart of Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge. This route brings you back onto US-1 barely a mile from the rotary and the new border crossing to Canada.

On the New Brunswick side, this new border crossing leads right onto a brand new freeway, NB-1, that will take you at 70 mph (or more) to Exit 25, your turn for St. Andrews.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quickest route from Lubec to St Andrews

so I turn off 214 at Charlotte rd and get back on 1 by border. sounds good, will try it.

thanks

NYC
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quickest route from Lubec to St Andrews

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can advise about riding a bike from Blacks harbor (taking ferry from Lubec) to St. Andrews...crazy, doable? We are strong cyclists but not sure about the roads/traffic etc... Thanks!!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quickest route from Lubec to St Andrews

It's quite doable, assuming you're up to the mileage involved. Traffic is light and the two-lane undivided road paved the whole way, with travel lanes of standard width. Parts are a bit hilly, but hardly mountainous.

Be mindful that morning fog and drizzle are a distinct possiblity the majority of early summer mornings. Fog means that you may get a shower any time while the air feels chilly and clammy.

You know, I think, that there are two ferries:

- International bridge from Lubec to Campobello Island, Canada (under US law, you'll need passports to re-enter the United States)

- ferry from Campobello Island to Deer Island (runs only in summer, and maybe not in September after Labor Day)

- ferry from Deer Island to Letete, on the New Brunswick mainland (NOT Blacks Harbor, by the way).

- paved roads from Letete to St. Andrews, about 30 miles.

On some parts of the route west of St. George, you have to follow the Route 1 freeway, driving on the emergency band. Most of the way, you'll be able to follow the older road, built before the freeway, but not the entire distance to St. Andrews.

David

Edited: 12:49 pm, May 22, 2013
Reply to: quickest route from Lubec to St Andrews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted