We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lubec trip report July 2012

West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Lubec trip report July 2012

Hello everyone. I wanted to thank everyone for the recommendations on my earlier post. We have just returned from our trip to the Lubec area and I thought I would share some of our experiences. As I said before, we had been to the Lubec area before but only on a day trip from Milbridge. This was our first extended trip to the area.

We rented a house on South Lubec road which is a few miles outside of town. We were about a mile away from the West Quoddy Headlight and the Quoddy Head State Park. We visted the lighthouse and state park nearly everyday since we were so close. Every evening we would stop by after dinner just to enjoy the beauty at sunset. On several occasions we hiked on a few of the trails located at the state park which were fabulous and are a must-do.

We spent one afternoon Whale watching. We asked a few locals which was the best cruise to take and were told of Island Cruises on Campobello Island. According to the locals this was the best because the boat had a bathroom. The day of the whale watch was foggy so that tempered our enjoyment a bit but we did see a whale as well as seals, puffins, and a blue tuna. The crew were nice and very informative and we would use this company again.

We spent another afternoon at the Roosevelt Campobello Island site. We watched the video at the visitor center and then toured the home and the grounds by the home. This is just an excellent self-guided tour on a beautiful piece of Campobello Island. After visiting the home we hopped in the car and drove directly across from the entrance to a dirt road that took us back to a parking area for several of the popular hiking trails on Campobello. We hiked out to the Sunsweep sculpture which is a very unique piece of art just off the main trail.

We made the drive out 189 to route 1 north one day and drove up to St. Stephen, New Brunswick to see the Chocolate museum. While the chocolate was good and the museum was interesting, I didnt think it was worth the admission fee. It was small and the majority of the visit was spent watching a video. After visiting St. Stephen we got back on route 1 and stopped at the St Croix Island National Historic Site. Here there is a visitor center as well as various statues and a model of the St Croix island settlement. A short trail takes you down to a rocky beach where you can get a good view of the island. There is no transport to the island. This site was interesting and as with most national park sites they give the kids a worksheet which when completed makes them a junior ranger. After the visit we made our way down to Eastport and just poked around the town for the rest of the afternoon before heading back to Lubec. Oh, we did make a stop in Eastport at Rayes Mustard! Wow, one of the hi lights of the trip! Great mustard and a must stop.

We spent most of the other morning and afternoons hiking in and around the Lubec area. We really enjoyed the hiking at the Hamilton Cove Preserve. The hiking all over the area is incredible with magnificent ocean views around every bend in the trail. We spent some time at the reversing falls in Pembroke. If we were to do this again we would stop at the site once in the morning and then later in the day to see more of a difference in the tides.

A few other must dos are making a stop at the 45th Parallel gift shop along route 1 in Perry. A very unique gift shop with quirky gifts that even I enjoyed. A visit out to the East Quoddy Head Light on Campobello at low tide. Sitting on a bench in Lubec and watching the seals. Have dinner at Uncle Kippy's. Look at the stars on a cloudless night and enjoy the absolute silence in the evening.

Also, I bought the Cobscook Trail guide before I left home and that is well worth the money I paid for it. It is a fabulous resource! One other point if you are looking for wall to wall excitement and entertainment with chain stores and eateries on every corner then this area of Maine is definitely not for you. This is the real Maine.

PA
Level Contributor
843 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

Thanks for the great report--glad you had such a wonderful trip! We are in Maine now--I never get tired of it.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

Mailcommando --

Glad you had a great visit.... the final line of your trip report really says it all....

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for the great follow up. Love your last paragraph as well.

Thanks for posting about the whale watch with the bathroom, as that can certainly be an issue on some of the other boats. How was the crowd on your trip? Did you stay within sight of land or did you go out pretty far?

Edited: 9:59 am, July 30, 2012
West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

On the whale watch it was our family of four, another family of four, and a family of three. It was very foggy so we really couldn't tell how far out we were. However, the crew said we were not out far at all and always within site of the shore on a clear day. In fact, I got the impression that they never need to go very far to see whales.

NYC
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

Thanks for the vivid, informative report. We've been to Lubec often in the past decade, and love the area. Agree with your sentiments. It is an unspoiled nature-lover's paradise. I do wish the local people more prosperity. It must be hard for them seeing people "from away," spend freely, while they have to struggle. Meanwhile, we've met very nice persons in every trip.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

As someone from that area I often think of the people who still live there and wishing them prosperity. But many of them enjoy living a simpler life and working with their hands and passing down trades and family businesses. There is a lot less of keeping up with the jonses and consumption and waste. That area produces some of the most authentic, friendly hard-working people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'm not saying that I want them in poverty or anything and sure they could use an economic boost. But the percentage of folks that work for them selves and their families is pretty significant. It also keeps the money in the area since most places are locally owned and operated. These people understand the value of a dollar and saving and hard work much more than people that I've encountered since I've moved away. Unfortunately alot of the younger people are leaving for higher education or other opportunities and not returning, while more people buy up land and property from outside the area. Eventually things will change as they always do and the area will begin on another cycle of boom and bust as it has many times in the past.

Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

Thank you for your post. We got back August 14th. What a beautiful place! We took your advise and went to many of the places you mentioned and will definitely be going back. Thanks again!

Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

Thank you for your post , we will be in Lubec for a very short stop before going to Campobelo where we will spend the night and take the island whale watch tour . Praying for good weather so we can take the ferry on to Deer island the last of September . We will then drive to PEI and back to Bay of Fundy , any recommendations for places to eat ?

Thanks !

West Lawn...
Level Contributor
160 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

@Clacca......We really enjoyed eating at Uncle Kippy's. It doesnt look like much from the outside but they had wide variety on the menu with good prices. Also, they have great ice cream! We got the feeling it was popular with the locals too which is always a good sign.

Longview, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lubec trip report July 2012

Thank you so much for all this good information. I'm from East Texas and will be traveling with 4 other ladies the first week in August 2013. You have helped us tremendously.