We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting June 6-11th. Looking for suggestions....

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting June 6-11th. Looking for suggestions....

I'll be in Providence for my first time very soon. (Will not be renting a car).

I'll be busy all day at a workshop on Sat. and Sun.

Will have the most free time on Mon. and Tues.

Any suggestions on food, shopping, things to see/do, etc?

I enjoy art, healthy/delicious food, shopping, herbs/aromatherapy, crafts, meeting new people (20's-30's).

I would also like to get a feel for Providence to see if it's a place where I may want to move to.

Many thanks for your help!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting June 6-11th. Looking for suggestions....

Two days is more than enough time to see Providence. It won't take long to get a feel, as the city is small, compact, and maneagable, everything is pretty walkable, or a quick cab ride. Downtown abuts College Hill and the East Side, which is very historic and beautiful. Thayer Street, which would be like a 15-20 minute walk from downtown is a trendy street catering to Brown and RISD there. Westminster St has the funkier shops and eateries downtown, and Wickenden Street is still truer to the city's artsy roots, catering more to locals. Two popular places on Wickenden St. are the Duck and Bunny Cafe, and the Coffee Exchange. Also AS22O downtown has day and night classes/activities/music, and a cafe/bar. Unless you can afford it, I wouldn't view the East Side (not to be confused with East Providence) as the only neighborhood to live though.

Edited: 9:18 pm, June 04, 2014
Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting June 6-11th. Looking for suggestions....

Thank you so much - that was so helpful!

Do you think I should try to go to Newport (or another neighboring town) for a day?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting June 6-11th. Looking for suggestions....

Yes, absolutely go to Newport if you can fit it, tons to see and do.

Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting June 6-11th. Looking for suggestions....

Thanks for letting me know!

5. Re: Visiting June 6-11th. Looking for suggestions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 10, 2015