We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

Hi there,

We are considering driving over from CT to check out Waterfire for the first time. Can someone describe the atmosphere? What should we expect? Is it like a festival? Do we need to bring chairs? Is there food or do we need to figure out a restaurant to dine in?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

A lot of people sit along the river, on chairs, or the many steps and such. Many people bring coolers and make it a party. Then there are a lot of people walking along the river viewing the different attractions or soaking up the scene; it's elbow to elbow on a busy night. There are usually vendors, I know for sure on the bigger nights, food trucks, plenty of restaurants, and often different things going on nearby downtown. The atmosphere is special: wonderment, creativity, romance, we're all in this together, etc. Lots of people not from the area, and lots of locals.

Edited: 1:04 pm, September 18, 2013
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

What Hillside said! There is a food court in front of RISD (one end of Waterfire, the other end being "The Basin"). I would probably have never tried Indian food if not for this eclectic food court! Not very expensive, either. There always seems to be something new and interesting to try. There are often free samples as well.

Be sure to walk "low" along Waterside Park, which is along Memorial Blvd. It will be packed and people will shuffle along, but it's beautiful, especially as you pass below bridges, which are lit by candle chandeliers. The path is cobblestone, so you really MUST have flat shoes to walk it without injury. Sneakers are a good idea. There is a moving 9-11 memorial by RI school children off the basin... tiled with their tributes.

I know this coming Saturday is a Chinese cultural celebration, complete with the dragon parade, Chinese drummers and a Chinese opera star. If you're interested in that it starts at 5 and by lighting it will pretty much be just another WaterFire.

windsor ct
Level Contributor
66 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

What is the best hotel(s) to be able to walk Waterfire from? Can't wait! Heading in next weekend with my nieces....=)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

How close is Federal Hill? Where is the best area to park if we want to visit Federal Hill before Waterfre and then walk around Waterfire before heading home?

Thank you all for the comments.. It sounds like fun!

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

I would park at the Hilton .. not free but convenient.. 21 Atwells Avenue.. it's a mid-point between the two areas.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

Thank you!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

LauryC I was there last night.. there are many hotel options with an easy walk..Omni and Courtyard Marriot are 2 that I remember being close. Also Hilton, was not a bad walk either.. Have fun!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

I like the Hampton Inn on Weybosset St. It's one block from the RISD end of the Waterfire attractions, including the food court. Breakfast is included and it was a clean, comfortable hotel. It was also cheaper than most of the others! When looking at downtown hotels, always ask about parking. The Hampton Inn is expensive to park at. You can park at a small pay garage right behind it (Central Parking on Pine St) for $10/night. I think the Marriot might have included parking... but no breakfast. Next door to the Hampton is DownCity, a restaurant we enjoyed last time we were in the city. Sunday morning be sure to take a walking tour of the downtown area. It looks completely different from the huge crowds of Saturday night.

9. Re: Waterfire- 1st Timer Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 24, 2014