We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip From Providence

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
149 posts
70 reviews
Day Trip From Providence

We are coming to Providence next week for a wedding. I am looking at possibly doing a day trip on Wednesday. Any suggestions? I've heard Newport is neat to see. Is the Cliff Walk open? How far would it be if we rented a car? TIA

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Day Trip From Providence

Sure Newport is a beautiful little city; I wouldn't miss it. It's about 45 minutes from Providence, headed down route 95 and Route 4 via West Bay. Actually, you could drive via East Bay and wind through the various old, historic coastal communities, Warren, Bristol especially, which is slower-going, and would take about an hour or so. Then take 95 back to Providence.

Parts of Cliff Walk are open, and you'll get a feel for Gilded Age of the mansions driving around the Bellevue Ave area. Driving around Ocean Drive is another must do thing, walking and shopping and eating at the harbor, or walk on big, beautiful Sachuest Beach after 4 when parking is free, and water is warming up for swimming. I actually lived in NE for four years, but this area is my home, it's definitely different here.

NYC
13 posts
2. Re: Day Trip From Providence

Definitely would recommend Newport for a casual day. Also would recommend driving east bay, taking I-195E getting off for Warren/Bristol. The drive takes you over the Mt. Hope Bridge with great views of the bay. No more than an hour, I would say. Plenty to do, depending on your interests.

If you are interested in a beach day, I would highly recommend a trip to Cape Cod. Its about an hour and a half from the city. Straight shot down 195 E.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: Day Trip From Providence

Hi, I see you are from Nebraska. In that case not only must you see Newport, but get out on the water. There are water shuttles in the harbor area, charters for sunset sails and a ferry that can take you out to Rose Island Light, over to Jamestown and back, all affordable ways to have a cruise. I agree with the other posters about the highlights of a great day in Newport.

If you don't want to rent a car to get to Newport, there are buses from Providence. See ripta.com, the 60 bus. Once in Newport there is a RIPTA trolley (#67) that makes the rounds of the popular tourist spots every 15-20 minutes. The advantage to the bus is no need to find your way around, deal with crazy RI drivers, or pay for parking. The downside is you won't get to see Ocean Drive, walk the beach and may have a bit more walking to do.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Day Trip From Providence

Newport is a great idea. Another option would be taking the commuter rail to Boston.

Mbta.com

5. Re: Day Trip From Providence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 30, 2014