We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Rhode Island?

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in Rhode Island?

Hi folks,

I need your input on my road trip with my 2 kids (10,4yrs). We'll be visiting Rhode Island region in between NYC and Boston. We've 1 and a 1/2 days for RI. Besides Providence and I suppose Newport for the Cliff Walk and mansions, what else is interesting around the region? Should I make Providence my base or is that too much doubling back? We like nature, local culture/food, local shops, kids' activities, actually, pretty much everything.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to see in Rhode Island?

In light of that, on your way from Narragansett to Newport take route 1A. It's the scenic route, and will also help you avoid traffic.

Sorry about the ferry. The advantage to being there during the week is that it will be less crowded. You will appreciate that at meal times. There are charters located along Bannister's Wharf that offer sunset cruises, everything from old schooners to a motor launch.

I do love living here, at least most of the time. The real downside is that we have a cold winter.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
78 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to see in Rhode Island?

Would the numerous cruises offered by the other companies be similar? Was thinking of doing the Sunset Cruise on Madeleine.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to see in Rhode Island?

Yes, the Madeleine is a well-established, reputable charter. They all cruise pretty much the same area.

14. Re: What to see in Rhode Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 05, 2014