We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Providence

Which Providence hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in Providence

Hi All,

Husband and I are going to a wedding in Providence the last weekend in September. We plan on driving up from New York and probably wont arrive until 8-9 pm. We are staying at The Renaissance Hotel on Avenue of the Arts....recommended for wedding guests. The wedding is at Roger Williams Botanical Garden at 6 pm on Saturday.

Here's my questions:

1. Any recommendations for dinner near the hotel. Maybe walking distance? We will probably be tired (working all day and then driving), but will need a casual - sit down - waiter/waitress served meal.

2. We would like to do some sight seeing before the wedding....So any recommendations for a morning, like 9 a or 10 am - 3 pm. We wouldn't mind driving at this point, and we have NEVER been to Providence.

3. Any recommendations for breakfast in the area?

4. It's a Saturday evening wedding, so I am thinking little black or other color dress. Invites did not say formal or semi formal...anyone know of this wedding venue?

5. Any traffice avoidance suggestions? Friday night on I-95 is going to be lovely, (insert sarcastic voice)!

Thanks in advance!

Providence
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Providence

For dinner within walking distance try Jacky's Waterplace, overlooking Waterplace park. For brunch, drive to Nick's on Broadway (my personal favorite). If you are arriving around 8 or 9 traffic around the city shouldn't be awful, unless it is a Waterfire night.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Providence

Lots of restaurants in the downtown area, most casual upscale to upscale. Federal Hill has all the Italian, most with valet parking. Parkside is a nice bistro downtown, also with valet. If you're in the mood for seafood, Blount has opened a casual, upscale seafood place in the Jewelry District which is right off the highway, downtown; nice interior, comfortable booths, great fried clams, and a parking lot. It may be a bit more low key than many of the other restaurants in the city. As far as sights, the beautiful historic part of Providence, the East Side, and is right adjacent to the historic part of old downtown. You could even walk it although there are some hills.

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Providence

On a friday night.. If the weather is nice, the "hill" (atwells avenue) will be hopping at 8-9 pm!

RI
Level Contributor
95 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Providence

In terms of walking distance to restaurants on the night of your arrival, there are many. There are chain restaurants inside Providence Place Mall or you could walk to Ruths Cris, Flemings, Capital Grille, just to name a few. If you do not mind driving, I would to Sienna on Atwells Ave.

Nick's on Broadway for breakfast.

Sightseeing on the east side by Brown, Thayer Street area is nice.

Black dress or similar is perfect for reception.

Have a great time!

New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Providence

Thank you everyone....I'm off to check out all of your suggestions!

providence,ri
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Providence

You should have stayed right near Roger Williams Park at Edgewood Manor INN www.providence-lodging.com

New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in Providence

The hotel was selected by the Bride and Groom and they held a block of rooms with free transportation from the hotel to the wedding. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Providence

Hello from the Visitors Bureau in Providence. Just wanted to let you know that Saturday, Sept. 29 is a busy night in the city. There is a WaterFire, the FirstWorks Arts Festival on Kennedy Plaza, a concert on the lawn of the State House (directly across from the Renaissance, and a concert at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. I would tell the bride and groom to allow a little extra time. For a complete list of activities and area restaurants, visit our website www.GoProvidence.com.

9. Re: Wedding in Providence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, December 17, 2013