We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drop off rental car and train to Boston

Houston
Level Contributor
58 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Drop off rental car and train to Boston

We are a group of 11 girl scouts arriving at PVD, renting 2 cars and staying in Narragansett RI for two nights and then we need to drop off the cars and get into Boston/Marriott Copley Place.

We could drop the cars off at PVD and then somehow get to Amtrak or commuter train or for $90 drop off fee, we could drop the cars off in Providence at Budget on Eddy St, 1/2 mile from Amtrak station. I can't get these guys on the phone. Anyone know if this is reasonable to walk?

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drop off rental car and train to Boston

I believe the commuter rail is finally running from the airport to Boston. Here's a link to the MBTA with the schedule: www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/lines/…

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drop off rental car and train to Boston

I would look at seeing if you can drop the car off in Boston somewhere as another option.

It is a reasonable walk from Budget to the Train station, but it would be easier to just have a couple people do it without luggage rather than the whole group of you.

The problem with the new T stop is that the schedule stinks unless you are going in real early or later in the evening.....it's not really geared towards travelers right now...mostly commuters.

Houston
Level Contributor
58 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drop off rental car and train to Boston

Yes, I saw that about the commuter rail from the airport. It's a shame, would have been perfect. I have looked at dropping off in Boston. The girls want to travel by train. doesn't happen much down here in TX.

Thanks for the help.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drop off rental car and train to Boston

Here's another idea- the RIPTA #14 and a few others, runs to Kennedy Plaza downtown Prov, from the airport. From there it would be a very short walk. The bus drivers are always very nice, and unlike in TX as I've experienced, nice young women do ride buses. :-)

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
985 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drop off rental car and train to Boston

Enterprise rent a car has a location in Narragansett, RI. You could pick up and drop off in Narragansett.

Only remaining issue is your transport from the airport and then to the train station in Kingston to catch Amtrak.

Perhaps a limo for all 11 of you??

Once on Amtrak, you can get off the train at Back Bay and walk to the Marriott Copley.

Providence RI
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drop off rental car and train to Boston

If it's 90 for both cars, maybe it's worth it. You really don't want complicated plans with two carloads full of scouts and leaders. The walk from Budget to Amtrak is just blocks; you can see it on mapquest or similar. And, you pass the Prov Place Mall, which the girls might like seeing. And, the basin for our somewhat famous Waterfire. (Our little of San Antonio, in a way.) I wouldn't risk any delays with public bus transp- just wouldn't be fun. The train to Boston is a great idea, especially becuase traffic to Bos is so unpredictable. Have a great trip.

7. Re: Drop off rental car and train to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 27, 2012