We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Lodging Questions

Lake Charles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Summer Lodging Questions

I am planning to visit Estes Park in the summer of 2014 with my husband and/or children. I would like to stay in an area with luxury style accommodations located on the water or with excellent views. This can be a lodge, house, cabin, or hotel. I would like to pay no more than $500 per night. Many of the homes I have reviewed do not have air conditioning. Is heat a problem in June or July?

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Lodging Questions

Heat can be a problem but it is not usually a problem. Air conditioning in Estes Park is not that common and many homes and lodging businesses do not have it except for hotels. The air is dry and even on the warmest of days, the temperature cools down at night. People rely on cross ventilation from open windows and ceiling fans. In homes with a second story, the upper level will get warmer and people will leave upper windows open during the day. Shade can make a big difference. July is the warmest month for Estes Park. You can look at historical temperature averages by month at this link.

weather.com/outlook/…USCO0130

You will see comments about the frequent afternoon thunderstorms in Estes Park and RMNP in summer. These brief storms drop the temperature by 10 to 15 degrees. Even after those blow through, the air is not humid. There will be no steam rising off the pavement or stickiness like you have in Louisiana. I am originally from the South and I have not forgotten the heat and humidity.

When you look at temperatures for Estes Park at 7500 ft., deduct about 3 to 5 degrees for each 1000 ft. you gain in altitude in RMNP. Popular Bear Lake in RMNP is at 9500 ft. and the Alpine Visitor Center on Trail Ridge Road is close to 12,000.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
1,418 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Alpine Visitor Center
Alpine Visitor Center
436 Reviews
Trail Ridge Road
Trail Ridge Road
2,936 Reviews
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Lodging Questions

Since A/C in Estes Park is often discussed, you might want to see this previous lengthy topic about it here on TA. Hopefully, my referring to this previous topic will prevent a renewed lengthy discussion about A/C here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60945-i436-k53859…

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Lake Charles...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Lodging Questions

Thank you so much for your response. Last summer I visited Alaska during a period of unusually warm weather in June. The nights were cool, but the days were quite warm. So I have been hesitant to reserve something that may be uncomfortable or not provide any relief from heat. I have visited the Vail and Aspen areas in July, but the resorts had air conditioning. I was curious about why air conditioning was uncommon in Estes Park.

I appreciate the information you provided.

Do you have any advice concerning particular areas for lodging or rental agencies in Estes Park?

Thanks again for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Lodging Questions

Estes Park and RMNP are very family friendly and accommodations generally reflect that. There are some higher end lodgings. As for water, your choices are Fall River, Big Thompson River, Lake Estes or Mary's Lake. Lake Estes is a reservoir bordered by a golf course, electric substation, hotel row and highway 36. Mary's Lake is a small lake with a small hydropower plant at one end. Nicer properties can be found in many places just not necessarily grouped together. A million dollar plus home on vrbo, flipkey, etc. may be very near a 1950's bungalow or located on a lot along Fall River in between the many condo complexes. All of Estes Park is very safe so there are no areas to avoid.

Suggestions for higher end properties:

With mountain views for adults only - Della Terra Mountain Chateau

With mountain views - Windcliff Properties (Awestruck seems to leave people that way.)

With mountain views - Overlook Condos at the Stanley Hotel

Park River West on the Big Thompson River. Not all properties have a river setting. This one does. http://www.vrbo.com/179772

Range Property Management has some "Executive Vacation Homes."

On VRBO, you can sort properties by price from high to low or by price range. That helps narrow the list. One of the filter options on VRBO is A/C. There are only 48 properties on Estes Park VRBO with A/C.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
400 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Mary's Lake Campground
Mary's Lake Campground
124 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Della Terra Mountain Chateau
Della Terra Mountain...
335 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Stanley Hotel
Stanley Hotel
2,834 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
5. Re: Summer Lodging Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:30 am, March 03, 2014
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Lodging Questions

You are right--if a home is in the shade it makes a big difference. It can get in the 80's and while it may be warm in the sun, the interior is often cool.

7. Re: Summer Lodging Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, February 22, 2015