We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stanley hotel ghostly encounters

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
stanley hotel ghostly encounters

hi all. i was thinking of spending 1 night somewhere between denver and the rocky mountain national park. i found the stanley hotel after someone suggested on denver forum. what i was wondering though, is the hotel still considered an active haunting? or like so many other 'haunted' hotels, is it living on old stories from many years ago. it seems to be rather expensive, and has a reputation for being hot in the rooms at night. i have already planned on staying 2 nights at rapids lodge on the west side of park. would anyone have any suggestions for that first night i arrive?

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

oh, i should probably mention i will be there in mid june......... i have reservations my 2nd and 3rd night, but nothing for the first. i will have a rental car.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

The hotel is still considered haunted. Just be warned, if you are planning on staying there, the place is very old, and not many updates have been made! I would recommend staying elsewhere -it is much cheaper, and visiting the Stanley. They say they only allow registered guests, but I've been in it several times and never had a problem. It is a very cool hotel!

Iowa
Level Contributor
11 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

A friend of ours stayed at the Stanley last summer, and she wished she had spent that money elsewhere. Her room was tiny, stuffy, dingy, and rundown-- definitely not worth the price she paid. Plus, she was surrounded by the huge numbers of weddings going on daily during the summer months. She had no 'ghostly experiences' but others have reported them, though whether these are actually ghosts or just the complaints of a creaky old hotel is up for discussion. We'll be visiting Estes in June, and she made sure to tell us to spend our hotel money elsewhere for a better room for half the price, and to just visit the Stanley to see it if we wished.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

I went to the bathroom there once but didn't see any ghosts. :-)

The Brown Hotel in downtown Denver is supposed to be haunted, if you want haunted for your first night.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
20 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

Don't know if your a fan of the Ghost Hunters show on the Sci Fi channel. They just filmed their season finale at the Stanley. Based on what I saw on the show, the hotel is still pretty active. It appears that hot rooms are 217, the room where Stephen King got his inspiration for the Shinning, and 1402 a room where a wonman thought she was being possessed. It supposedly took several men to get her to the hospital. They documented activity all over the place in all the buildings.

The show was just on last Wednesday (5-31-06), so chances are they will be showing it again on a regular basis. I do agree with a previous poster, the place is old and the quality is spotty. You may want to consider staying somewhere else and take the haunted tour in the evening.

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

i really wanted to stay here, but after reading the reviews, i just can't justify $200.00. especially off season. thanks for all the info

estes park
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

Hi

My wife was one of the first mediums to vist the Stanley Hotel, she has an great article at rosemarythecelticlady.com/the_paranormal_sta…

There are ghosts in Estes Park at the Stanley Hotel , Mary's Lake Lodge and at the Celtic Lady's Mountain Retreat.

Having been touch by ghosts, seen ghosts and having channeled a ghost I can honestly say being married to Colorado's most famous psychic medium is never dull.

There are some really cool orb photos at www.rosemarythecelticlady.com/id280.htm

Going back to the Stanley discussion, I love the outside of the Stanley, it is nice for a drink, but the service and food do not meet my expectations after having seen the exterior.

Mary's Lake lodge is a better dinner choice however my recommendation would be Sweet Basilico on the main street of town.

Happy ghost hunting.

8. Re: stanley hotel ghostly encounters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park