We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

I will be making a trip to Estes Park the first week in March and would love to take my husband and adult daughter snowmobiling. Since it is not available in the RMNP, I searched and found the Snowy Range Tours near Centennial, WY, which is about 3 to 3 1/2 hours away. Does anyone know of this company and it's reputation?

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

You should post this question in the Wyoming forum.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

Yes, of course. I was just wondering if any of you had gone there since it was fairly close to Estes.

Thanks anyways.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

Don't forget about snowmobiling near Winter Park, CO or Grand Lake, CO. From Estes Park, both are within that 3 to 3 1/2 hour travel time. Winter Park should actually be a little less than 3 hours depending on road conditions over Berthoud Pass. See www.cotrip.org for road conditions. There are even live cameras along highway 40.

Mentioned in this post
Winter Park
Winter Park
Grand County, CO
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

True, but I don't think I have to go over any passes to get to Centennial, WY, right? In looking at the Forums for the Laramie area, it doesn't appear that anyone responds. Guess it isn't as "touristy" as Colorado. Thank you folks anyways for responding.

Mentioned in this post
Laramie
Laramie
Wyoming
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Conroe, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

I will be going to estes park the 2nd week of march this year. Have you been able to get any information on the expected snow fall in the area? Thanks for info. Maybe we call help each other out....lol

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

ahchancey, there is no way to tell what the snowfall will be between now and the second week of March. There has been no significant snow in Estes and most of the east side of RMNP since Christmas. February, March and early April are usually the snowiest times in Estes Park and the eastern side of RMNP. There is about 15 inches of snow on the ground at Bear Lake--elevation 9475 ft.

There are several live webcams for Estes Park and RMNP.

coloradolivecams.com/colocam-estes1.htm

http://www.estesparkcvb.com/cams.cfm

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
400 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
1,418 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Conroe, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

thank you very much for the info. I realize that is still a time away. Was looking for some general information on that time of year.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

ahchancey--general information for that time of year.

rockymountainnationalpark.com/planning/weath…

Snow totals for RMNP are significantly higher than for Estes Park especially in the Bear Lake area. You can deduct 3 to 5 degrees for each 1000 feet gained in elevation from the average temps given for Estes Park. Estes Park is at 7500 feet.

I can not overemphasize how very unpredictable weather is in RMNP. For example, mid-March of 2012 was unseasonably warm and there was basically no snow remaining below 9000 ft. When Trail Ridge Road opened in the middle of May, there were no snow drifts. In 2011, there was 300% snowpack and Trail Ridge Road still had 23 foot snowdrifts in June.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Bear Lake
Bear Lake
1,418 Reviews
Trail Ridge Road
Trail Ridge Road
2,938 Reviews
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

ahchancey, While there may or may not be any snow in Estes at the times of our visits, the mountain tops will be white and it makes for some beautiful pictures! I love the quieter times (the off seasons) with or without snow; it is a magical place! My husband is hoping there is still enough snow for him to try snow-shoeing in the RMNP and then we are planning to drive up to Centennial, WY and snowmobile (if they have enough snow). I realize there are good places in Colorado that offer snowmobiling, but we aren't going that direction.

Will this be your first time to Estes Park?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
400 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snowmobiling the Snowy Range?

OklahomaMtnLady, I helped ahchancey back in July when they were planning this March 2013 trip. You might want to look at my rather lengthy reply to see if there is something you would like to add.

tripadvisor.com/…42567785