We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
434 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Just curious if anyone could tell me any roads that lead to a parking area that over look the town at night?

florida
Level Contributor
459 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Hwy 36 towards Lyons (road many take into Estes) at the Estes Rock sign has a nice view of town

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
434 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

I've only been to Estes once and the Estes Rock sign was one spot we forgot to see. So this time well will check it out during the day and night as well. Thanks!

colorado
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Yes, you can park in the Lily Lake area and walk across the road for a great view.

florida
Level Contributor
459 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Good call by kadey. Baldpate Inn (the same area she mentions) has a fantastic view.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
434 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Are these areas fairly easy to get to at night in December? We will be coming from the Stanley Hotel.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,164 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Highway 36 to the "Welcome to Estes Park" sign--yes. Highway 7 to Lily Lake may be a little scary on the way back down to Estes Park. Do not go to Baldpate at night--dirt road. There is actually a great view of downtown from the top of the hill on highway 34/Big Thompson Avenue.

I will be In Estes/RMNP several days this week, did not go due to fire last week. I remember you want an opinion on Stone Age BBQ and will see if I can get there.

Edited: 3:15 pm, December 10, 2012
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
434 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Ok thanks to all for the info, much appreciated! These areas sound ideal for some scenic life pondering under the stars (cheesie as that sounds).

And yes fv, please post your review of Stone Age if you make it there. We'll be in Estes next week. For right now it's Smokin' Daves but a positive review from you at Stone Age could change our minds.

florida
Level Contributor
459 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

I have been to Stone Age BBQ, and as was said in the VP debate to Dan Quayle about JFK, "I know Smokin Dave's, and Stone Age is no Smokin Dave's"

Estes Park...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

There is a great look-out over the downtown village that is close to the Stanley. On the opposite side of Wonderview (from the Stanley) there is a small parking lot. From there you can take a trail - bring a flashlight - that leads to the old ruins and the high ridge behind the Town Hall & Library. From there you can see the downtown main street (Elkhorn Ave.), the Riverwalk, and bond Park (better at night now due to construction), along with all of the beautiful twinkle lights that are throughout the village through Valentines Day.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
434 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic night time drives in Estes Park?

Thanks Brooke! This would be in walking distance from our hotel so I will add this to the list.

Some good night time views a comin'!

Edited: 4:15 pm, December 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park