We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
georgia02
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Need some advice

My husband, myself and our 3 kids, 2 daughters ages 12 and 10 and a son age 4, are heading to Colorado from October 4-13. The first days of our vacation will be tied to the Highlands Ranch area of Colorado due to a softball hitting clinic. We will be free from that Wednesday around noon and were planning on spending the rest of our vacation in and around Estes Park/RMNP area. None of us have ever been to the area and it is WAY to much for me to absorb---I have put it off as much as I can and my goal is to find us somewhere to stay on those last few days in the Estes Park area. My eye keeps getting drawn to the YMCA centers. I like the activities that they have available for the kids and they are running a special buy 2 nights get a night free and that fits perfect for our three night stay. Any thoughts that could be shared would be appreciated about it. I look at all of the activities and there is so much to offer that my kids would love. Are the activities well ran? How is the food offerings? I see they have a buffet, is it any good? Thank you ahead of time for all of your advice and comments.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need some advice

This is probably too late, but...........

I would consider staying in a cabin at the Y, cabins are very reasonable and nicely outfitted. Room for kids to run around. I would NOT plan on eating at the cafeteria, food was lousy. Have no idea about the planned activities, we didn't try any, but I would be leery of leaving my children with anyone these days.

But you can cook at the cabin, which is nice in the AM. Kitchen was well equipped. Location is good for the park, you used to be able to

reserve a fire pit area for the evening which was fun for kids, making smores, etc.

georgia02
Level Contributor
55 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need some advice

thanks fv---crap---I was planning on heading there next Friday to catch it before it closed. So is the drive to echo lake worth it? I also found out about/read about St. Mary's glacier. What are your thoughts about checking that out? Also, my 12 year olds social studies teacher wants her to take a picture of the continental divide.....where is a good place for that to happen?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,588 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need some advice

Drive over Loveland Pass. You can take a photo @ the sign there. http://www.aaroads.com/west/us-006we_co.html

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,362 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need some advice

http://funcoloradohikes.com/st_marys_glacier/

I have found the above site to be good for folks hiking with children. A word of caution about the trail and your 4 year old--the trail is very rocky and a fall would be most unpleasant to say the least. You can see a picture of the trail at this site. This site has very good information.

colorado-hiking-vacations.com/st-marys-glaci…

From my earlier reply #6--"The rest of the Mount Evans Scenic Byway--103/Squaw Pass Road from Bergen Park to Echo Lake and 103 from Echo Lake to Idaho Springs is open year round. This is a pretty drive and you can still enjoy the Eagle's Aerie and Juniper Pass Overlooks and the Chicago Forks picnic area and Echo Lake." I gave you the mapquest link ealier which went to Summit Lake. The route is the same just without Summit Lake. From Highlands Ranch, driving time round trip is about 3 1/4 hours.

In addition to the Continental Divide reference Babalax gave you, there is also a Continental Divide stop with a large sign on Trail Ridge Road 4.8 miles past the Alpine VC coming from the Estes Park side. This is assuming that portion of TRR is open. As I mentioned, the upper elevations of TRR have been closed the last 2 days due to weather. Loveland Pass will be open so go ahead and get that photo in case TRR is not open.

15. Re: Need some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 03, 2013