We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to estes park from aspen

Detroit, Michigan
7 posts
Save Topic
driving to estes park from aspen

I am planning on driving to estes park from aspen on route to boulder. I would like to drive through rmnp and wondering if the drive from I 70 to us 40 to us 34 is a good choice. Mapquest has me going I 70 to 6 and N 93. I will probably just be in estes for a couple hours and need to be in boulder by 6pm. Is the drive through Granby too long? Also, I drove independence pass on the way to Aspen and not sure if it would take longer going back. Thanks

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

I-70 to 40 to 34 takes you through Rocky Mountain National Park over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park. You will encounter slower driving through the park. I'd estimate 5 1/2 to 6 hours.

If you've already driven over Independence Pass, it will take less time if you drive I-70 instead.

The other route (hwy 93) will take you to Boulder first, not to Estes Park.

If you do not want to drive through Rocky Mountain National Park you could take I-70 to exit 243 (Central City Parkway) to the Peak to Peak Hwy (72) to Estes Park. That drive will take approximately 4 hrs. 45 min.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

Sorry, not enough caffeine this am. Now I see that you DO want to drive through RMNP... so yes, I-70 to 40 to 34 is a good route.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

http://mapq.st/P8LJwo

This is the route you are planning to take. There are numerous trails and overlooks along Trail Ridge Road. Try and at least stop at the Alpine Visitor Center, Forest Canyon Overlook and Rainbow Curve Overlook.

Detroit, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

I will definitely take Trail Ridge Road since it sounds like it will be well worth the detour. At the end of Trail Ridge is the quickest route to go toward the Beaver Meadows entrance and not the Fall River? Thanks for the help

Detroit, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

Babalax, If I am pressed for time I may take the route you suggested, Is the Central Parkway to Peak to Peak a nice drive as well? Sounds like this will save about an hour in driving. Thanks

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

Stay on highway 36 and exit out Beaver Meadows. There are really nice views of Longs Peak along 36. If you do not have an annual pass (Federal Lands Pass), the park entry fee is $20. The drive along 40 and 34 over Berthoud Pass and through Winter Park is very pretty also.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

It is a beautiful drive, a designated scenic byway. There is less traffic and higher speed limits than TRR.

http://byways.org/explore/byways/2114/

myscenicdrives.com/drives/colorado/peak-to-p…

But if you have the time, I absolutely recommend driving Trail Ridge Road.

8. Re: driving to estes park from aspen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park