We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who've stayed

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
For those who've stayed

Several people I know who've rented this summer were told by the homeowner to close all lower level windows when they were out or bears could get in! Have others had this experience? Is it really necessary?

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
628 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who've stayed

There are not a lot of bears in the Estes Valley but the ones around do roam across the entire area. Closing lower level windows when you are out and also during the night is a good precaution. It beats coming back to your rental (or waking up in the middle of the night) to find a bear rooting around inside!

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who've stayed

If the homeowner tells you to close them, close them. Better safe than sorry! I don't live in Estes Park, but in my neighborhood several of our neighbors have had bears come in through open windows and many more have had bears in their garages going after their trash.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who've stayed

But you go to the mountains partly to get away from the heat and not have to use air conditioning and have fresh air and windows open at night. If there is no food in the bedroom I'd think you' d be okay?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those who've stayed

We just got back a week ago from RMNP and wouldn't have know there were fires if some hadn't told us. Any way, we want to go back in September and try some harder hikes. Is the end of September to cold to hike in RMNP?

Thanks

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,785 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who've stayed

Martin_Melani, not that this has anything to do with bears (the topic for this thread), but by far the favorite time for hiking in RMNP is September!!!! Fall foliage starts peaking about the third week of September and elk rut peaks from mid-September to mid-October. Elk Fest in Estes Park is 9/29 and 9/30 this year. The weather is usually fabulous. The afternoon thundershowers generally do not occur after early September. There is always a chance for early snow at higher elevations but that just makes for a prettier hike.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who've stayed

I had a hard time finding a RMNP Hiking forum. But thanks for the tip. We are looking forward to coming back in September.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,785 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those who've stayed

There is not a specific hiking forum but there is a Rocky Mountain National Park forum. Sometimes when people change topics and post a new question on an existing thread, their questions get overlooked because responders assume the replies are all about the original poster's question. I gave you the protrails hiking site link on one of your previous posts. You can plan those September hikes.

The crowds (at least during the week) will not be anything like they were in July. However, fall foliage and elk rut are really popular and the highest attendance day for RMNP last year was September 24.

Mentioned in this post
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those who've stayed

Two years ago the first weekend in October (which was elk fest) was every bit as busy as July.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those who've stayed

Maybe I should repost with "bears" in the title?

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,785 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those who've stayed

Yes, sjde, elk fest, fall foliage and elk rut are very popular in RMNP and Estes. That is why I said "during the week" and mentioned 9/24 was high attendance day in 2011. It was a Saturday but was not during Elk Fest. That was the first weekend in October last year. On average over 200,000 fewer people visit RMNP in September than in July. Six of the top 10 attendance days last year were in July. Three were in September and included the Sunday of Labor Day weekend and Saturday and Sunday, September 24 and 25.

And now we have a completely different thread going amidst your bears and open windows question. While some forums have rules against changing topics (known as highjacking) on threads, TA does not. They do encourage us to stay "on topic" but it does not always turn out that way. Sorry! :(