We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The road from Fort Collins

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
875 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
The road from Fort Collins

Aloha,

My family and I are vistying my DD in Fort Collins, how curvy and scary is the road to Estes Park? My DD had not been yet so did not know. If it is really bad, looking for suggestions for a close day trip with good roads.

Mahalo

Edited: 6:51 pm, May 07, 2012
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The road from Fort Collins

Highway 34 from Loveland to Estes Park goes through very dramatic Big Thompson Canyon. The road is winding but not at all scary. You may see big horn sheep in the canyon. You did not say when you were coming. Trail Ridge Road opens in Rocky Mountain National Park all the way to Grand Lake usually the Friday before Memorial Day. The section of that road from the Alpine Visitor Center to the Forest Canyon Overlook on the return trip to Estes can be intimidating for some people. That is really the only section of road in RMNP that could be bothersome to you and it is a very brief section.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
875 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The road from Fort Collins

Mahalo Fv1989 this sounds encouraging I had visions of huge drops with no guard rails. We are coming June 4.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The road from Fort Collins

Just go at your own pace and use the pulloffs if traffic is forming behind you

Flower Mound, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The road from Fort Collins

Absolutely, the road from Loveland to Estes is pretty tame, and there are a few areas where the road adds a passing lane so if you're driving cautoiusly or if you're taking in scenery and want to drive slower, just use those passing lanes to let others by. And, as FV indicated, there are plenty of places to stop off whilst in the canyon if you want to take a break, sight see, and a few where you can grab a bottle of water, etc.

It's a great drive, don't stress at all.

-Crip

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The road from Fort Collins

The Cache La Poudre Scenic Byway starts just 15 minutes from Fort Collins on highway 14 and is another great day trip from Fort Collins.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
875 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The road from Fort Collins

Mahalo everyone for all the tips and easing my fears

Aloha

7. Re: The road from Fort Collins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 pm, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park