We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging without pre pay, like in big hotels?

USA
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
lodging without pre pay, like in big hotels?

Hi, I travel a lot and never pre pay or even pay a deposit for a hotel room, my credit card is a guarantee for the room and if you dont show or cancel by given time you would be charged for one night,,,,pretty standard world wide.... yet for places in Estes Park they want a deposit, equal to 1 or 2 or more nights....I am not a fan of that, any (non chanin) places where that is not necessary? thanks

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging without pre pay, like in big hotels?

There are a few chain places although I am not aware of their deposit policies. The Rocky Mountain Park Inn (was the Holiday Inn until recently) says they do not require a deposit. You'll also find a Comfort Inn and Best Western among others.

You can find a listing of other local hotels at www.estesparkcvb.com/lodging.cfm…

You will definitely be limiting your choices by only going with a place where you do not need that advance deposit. I, too, have travelled world wide and find that depending on the type of lodging you choose, advance deposits are part of the process. I don't find this as strange as some people do. Perhaps it is because I prefer vacation rentals like houses, b&b and condos over hotels. I also prefer smaller destinations like Estes or remote beaches. In fact, with rental houses (like you find on VRBO, Homeaway, FlipKey) I often have to pay the full cost up front.

Keep in mind that if you want to be daring and go for one of those advance deposit places, you could opt for some vacation insurance. There's all kinds of poilcies out there now and some that will let you cancel no questions asked. Some even include medical coverage while you are on your vacation. Just a thought.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging without pre pay, like in big hotels?

I stayed at the Best Western over the Christmas holiday. There was a chance I may have had to cancel so I needed something with a generous cancellation policy. We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel doesn't look like much on the outside, but the rooms are very nice and clean. (I am very picky about this.) On the other hand, I would definitely prefer to stay in a cabin rental. Ive done this last summer in RMNP, and yes, we had to pay a deposit and pay in full 1 month prior to checking in. In my experience, that is completely normal for a home or cabin rental. I just prefer to have a full kitchen, grill, and the ability to cook our own meals instead of eating out each night.

3. Re: lodging without pre pay, like in big hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:48 pm, June 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park