We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My short list of lodging...is it complete?

Dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
My short list of lodging...is it complete?

I am a fan of researching TA and have developed a short list of places we are considering. Let me start by saying what we are looking fo...This is our first trip to thr Rockies and Estes Park.

There are 5 of us (Me, wife and three teens 13-18). We are looking for a cabin or something with the mountain flavor, 2 or 3 bedrooms and it's got to be on the river (We love to fish and want to learn fly fishing). We don't mind rustic, but would appreciate staellite/cable TV (did I mention the teens). Any other activities are a plus and boy it would be nice to be able to go out for a cocktail close by.

Many of the top choices (Boulder Brook, Wildwood, Woodlands) don't seem to coommodating to 5 people...so here is what I've narrowed it down to:

* Pine Haven

* The Evergreens on Fall River

* Glacier Lodge

* Blackhawk Lodges

Any additional pluses or minuses are greatly appreciated...and anyone who needs advice/reccomendations for the Northwoods of Wisconsin...I can set you up.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My short list of lodging...is it complete?

Hi Gary, first off, you are all going love Estes Park! The park and the mountains are magnificent and you'll be able to find everything that you're looking to do there.

I've not stayed at any of the properties you mention, but I wanted to offer a couple of observations. Our family went riding at the stables that adjoin Glacier Lodge last June and we all agreed that it looked like a fine place to stay and we'd look into it on our next visit. It is right on the Big Thompson River and it seems to have a lot of activities for everyone. Just like you, proximity to cocktails is essential for me to appreciate a true vacation... The Dunraven Inn is almost across the street and they have a very fine bar and bartender (John) whom I got to know on my last visit, as well as great Italian food for the whole family!

I've driven by Pine Haven and the Blackhawk Lodges and my "drive-by" opinion is that they look a little run down - not that appealing. They certainly could be fantastic inside, but I've never been. The Evergreens looks like a newer construction, for what it's worth. These places off Fall River Road would require a drive, albeit a short drive, to the nearest watering hole.

Now that you've narrowed down your lodging, I'll bet you can find a lot of reviews here or on other websites to confirm or deny what you've seen so far. What month are you planning to visit?

Dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My short list of lodging...is it complete?

Thanks Shake...or is it Ms. Bake? We are looking at going towards the end of June or early July (June 24 - July 1 is the target). I have read every single posting and every single forum in Estes Park and have come up with the "Gotta go" restaurants, horseback riding and rafting advetures, as well as a few trails and roads. I've also identified the "stay aways" on these categories.

Essentially we'll be doing a couple rafting trips, a day on horses and some fishing, and spaing (is that a word?) for the girls. I'm just trying to figure out a when we'll be able to actually visit RMNP.

These forums are a great source of info and I think I've scrubbed the Internet clean on cabins and vacation homes.

If you or anyone else have any other thoughts...please keep them coming.

Gary

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My short list of lodging...is it complete?

Have you thought of renting from an owner? I think you might well find just what you are looking for. Try

www.vrbo.com

www.A1vacations.com

www.cyberrentals.com

www.vacationrentalsbyowner.com (not the

same as the first one I listed)

www.vacationrentals.com

AND a host of others: Google "vacation rentals + Colorado"

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My short list of lodging...is it complete?

I just took a quick look on VRBO.com and saw several that I'd jump for. :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My short list of lodging...is it complete?

Thanks PStreet. Yes, there were a few vacation properties and I am ceratinaly open to your suggestion. I'm not sure I found the sites you sggested...ahich is exactly why I posted on this forum (new leads). I just perused the three property rental sites listed on Estesparkcvb.com.

Thanks so much,

Gary

boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My short list of lodging...is it complete?

hi wannabechef ! how was your trip ?

planning my own family trip to estes in summer of 2007 with 3 teenages. staying at glacier lodge. any advice - do's and don'ts ? thankks for your help

7. Re: My short list of lodging...is it complete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 19, 2009