We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in Estes Park

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
texas
1 post
Save Topic
camping in Estes Park

We will be coming July 2nd through the 4th and staying at the KOA. Are there other sites better for camping? I read a few reviews on the forum and 2 said no trees, small lots, and they would not stay there again! Any suggestions on where else to camp. By the way, this is our 1st camping experience ever!

highlands ranch, co
Level Contributor
60 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in Estes Park

Do you have kids and how old are they. I have a 6 and 9 year old and we love Yogi bear campground (www.jellystoneofestes.com) It is set in the side of a mountain and full of trees. Beautiful! If you have kids, there is a ton to do. If I am thinking correctly, the KOA is right off highway 34. Wouldn't chose it. There are so many beautiful places up there with trees. Look around if the above doesn't tempt. YMCA of the Rockies is supposed to be great too, but hard to get res.

Good luck,

Jen

colorado
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in Estes Park

jenbug,

If you have reservations for 7/2-4 you had best stick with them. This is the biggest weekend of the year in Estes Park and I would expect that everything is booked. It usually is. There are campgrounds in the National Park that are first come and serve but I think they will be filled also. What kind of camping are you doing? Tent? RV?

You could try calling the visitors center at 1.800.44ESTES. to see if anything else is available. The KOA is nice but because of our climate trees are a scare commodity in places. We do have the best 4th of July fireworks show in the state. Make sure you get to the Lake early and grab a spot. Fireworks are shot off the north side of Lake Estes by the nine hole golf course and the best viewing is on the south side. You can drive a car over and park it early and I do mean early for the best spots. Bring lawn chairs, bug spray, food and drink and watch the best show in town!

Happy 4th!

Get answers to your questions about Estes Park