We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Gorge to Estes Park Route and Attractions

Kansas City
Level Contributor
21 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Gorge to Estes Park Route and Attractions

Is there a back way, so to speak, into Estes Park without going all the way back into and through Denver from Royal Gorge? We're going in Aug. and have 3 days to explore other areas before we're due in Estes Park. Any suggestions of must see's along the way would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks,

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Gorge to Estes Park Route and Attractions

Yes there are a number of routes you can take. With 3 days, you can see some of Colorado.

Here's an idea:

Day 1 Take US west from Canon City and the Royal Gorge to Salida and then up to Buena Vista. You can stay in this area. Visit St Elmo Ghost Town, take a raft trip and enjoy the mountains.

Day 2 From Buena Vista, you can go north on US 285 to Fairplay. Stop at South Park City, a reconstructed historic town. From there you can head to Breckenridge and Summit County and stay somewhere there.

Day 3 From Summit County you can go east on I70 to just before Idaho Springs where you go over US 40 Berthoud Pass to Winter Park and then Grand Lake. You can spend the night in Grand Lake and see the western portion of Rocky Mountain National Park. The next day you can drive over Trail Ridge Road and to Estes Park.

There are many other routes. Take a look at a map and see if there is anything else you want to see and do.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
21 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Gorge to Estes Park Route and Attractions

Thanks! We don't get into Denver til after noon on Thursday and need to be in Estes Park by noon Sunday so I don't know if we can get all that accomplished but at least it gives us some ideas. We plan on going through Colo. Spgs. too on the way to Canon City. Sounds like we'll be plenty busy. Any other ideas are still welcomed.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Gorge to Estes Park Route and Attractions

Here's a modified trip.... Some of my favorite places.

Day 1 Arrive noon. See Royal Gorge. Drive on to Salida. Stay there. There is really not much to do in Canon City (I used to live there) and the views in Salida area are much nicer!

Day 2. Visit St Elmo Ghost Town outside of Nathrop before you get to Buena Vista, then north on US 285 to Fairplay. Stop at South Park City, a reconstructed historic town. From there you can head to Breckenridge and Summit County. Stay in Breckenridge.

Day 3 From Breckenridge you can go east on I70 to just before Idaho Springs where you go over US 40 Berthoud Pass to Winter Park and then Grand Lake. You can spend the night in Grand Lake

Day 4 Sunday Head over Trail Ridge Road and to Estes Park.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
21 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Gorge to Estes Park Route and Attractions

So you'd recommend skipping Co. Sprgs. altogether? I'm starting to wish we had an extra day now. Never enough vacation time no matter how well you plan, ya know?

5. Re: Royal Gorge to Estes Park Route and Attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Estes Park