We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Estes - Will the drive scare me?

chicago
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Denver to Estes - Will the drive scare me?

I get very nervous driving on curvy, steep roadways. Is the drive from Denver to Estes going to trigger a panic attack?

chicago
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Denver to Estes - Will the drive scare me?

I did it!!! And I was not even nervous for a single, solitary second. My flight got in late and I did not even arrive at Estes until 3:30. 34 was a beautiful drive along the river. It was an overcast day and I decided to take that falls drive up. Its the oldest road in the park and I had it almost all to myself . I only saw about 7 cars the whole drive. It was sprinkling to showering on and off so I think a lot of people stayed away. Maybe due to that and the late afternoon arrival. But I would not have had it any other way.

I took the entire 9 miles up at 10 mph or so and was able to sightsee the whole way without holding anyone up behind me. Its one way so you don't have to watch for oncoming traffic . I lingered. I saw elk. I saw some of the last snow melting and trickling down in many places. Red, yellow and blue wildflowers were everywhere. Wow.

When I got to the top the sun broke through and I had the best sunshine day coming back down trail ridge. Kozy 101 stayed with me just about the whole drive and it served as the best classic soft rock soundtrack to the entire trip. Trail Ridge Road was zambone smooth and I had the best day ever. So glad I did it. Could not wipe the smile off my face.

Thanks to everyone that talked me off the ledge. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. So I stand corrected. I am afraind of 6% downward grades on winding roads with steep dropoffs and semi trucks blowing past me!! The drive to Estes and the route I took in RMNP is not that by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks again!!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Denver to Estes - Will the drive scare me?

Bravo, Karen - good for you! So glad to hear you did it and even better, that you loved it! Pretty darn gorgeous place, huh?

Next time, Independence Pass for you!

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Denver to Estes - Will the drive scare me?

Actually, I'm from Chicago too, flying into Denver. I'm coming in for a wedding. Its not that I dont want to drive(there will be some drinking) ..I think it would be safer and maybe cheaper to use public transportation. My question is there a train close to the airport that gets me in the estes area? Or any other public transportation avalaible?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,215 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Denver to Estes - Will the drive scare me?

No train, no public transportation and the Estes Park Shuttle only has 4 shuttles a day from the airport to Estes. There is a bus that goes to Lyons, but that is still a long way from Estes.

If you are drinking, then just stay in Denver. Alcohol will affect you a lot at altitude and once you are in Estes Park, how will you get to see Rocky Mountain National Park and what will you do there if you have been drinking? Hiking in the mountains is not something to do while drinking! Pool or foosball, a much better activity, LOL!!

15. Re: Denver to Estes - Will the drive scare me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 06, 2009