We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How rough is Howland Hill Rd in Jedediah Smith State Park?

Which Crescent City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Framingham...
Level Contributor
177 posts
319 reviews
Save Topic
How rough is Howland Hill Rd in Jedediah Smith State Park?

I'm trying to get a feel for how rough this road will be. I'll have a basic mid-size rental car and will be in the area in mid-August. A search of feedback on TripAdvisor gives the impression it would be unwise to drive this in a rental. But speaking with a ranger at the park today, she indicated this would be no big deal in a car.

Thoughts?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How rough is Howland Hill Rd in Jedediah Smith State Park?

You'll be fine. There are lot of potholes, some unavoidable, so the suggestion I make is that it is not suitable for a low-slung sports car (think 'Vette). A standard car should have no problem, just take it by the car wash in town after, lol! (We were there in Jan, and it was muuuddy, lol!)

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How rough is Howland Hill Rd in Jedediah Smith State Park?

We did this drive in our 1999 Saturn SL-1 last week. We didn't notice any potholes or really rough parts. The road was much better than 50% of the paved roads I grew up with. It is pretty much 1-1.5 lanes with pull-outs and 2-way traffic but everyone was obeying the speed limit when we made the drive so that wasn't a problem.

3. Re: How rough is Howland Hill Rd in Jedediah Smith State Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, October 02, 2009