We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

Has anyone entered from inside the place of refuge park at the canoe channel and snorkeled north over to 2-step? It appears quite a swim but doable. I've swam out to the point on the north edge of 2-step along the lava shelf. thanks

Edited: 6:16 pm, September 22, 2012
13 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,020 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

The National Park Service asks people not to enter the water from inside Puuhonau O Honaunau out of respect for the cultural site.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

If you do not want to go in at the steps you can go in just to the left of the boat launch, being careful of boat traffic and urchins. Watch how the boats go to find the channel out.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

I understand people just a few years could snorkel inside the park. Coming your way in 3 days. Can't wait! Gotta get out of this Arizona heat. 106 degrees today.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

I have been all over the bay just never entered from inside the park and made my way from there over to 2-step before. I love the coral canyons, fish etc..

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,020 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

You've never been supposed to enter or exit the water inside the Park, the Park service doesn't have the staff or stomach to regularly chase people down or argue with them, but please just don't do so out of respect.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

agreed....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

Do a Google image search for honaunau bay aerial. One of the first few photos shows the bay and boat ramp...see, go in there and you pass thru the same area on your way over the lava finger...just do not go ashore. Once in the water you will see the area is NOT very clear or interesting, compared to the canyons in the deep water north of the shelf. I hightail it for the deep water and lovely coral...I bet you will too. In this case the forbidden fruit is not sweeter :-)

Edited: 6:44 pm, September 22, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

You nailed it! Thats exactly what what I'm doing. I've been at 2-step 7,8,9 times and was hoping for an expanded view of things. Your suggestion will cover it. Thanks!

Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

Shea, some people just don't get it. And people wonder why tourists aren't always welcomed.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step

Pu'uhonua O Honaunau is not for swimming or snorkeling - it's a very sacred place and you cannot enter the water from the park, except during the hukilau held during the park's July cultural festival.

It's also strongly recommended that do not start your snorkel experience from the Honaunau boat ramp area. To get out to water deep enough to snorkel, you have to pass through a tricky and narrow channel that is in constant use by motorboats and outrigger canoes. We paddle our canoe there almost daily, and almost daily, we witness near-collisions between boats and inattentive snorkelers. The boats cannot maneuver in this tricky channel at all well. It's best just to stay out of the area. It's a very important safety issue.

Enter at Pae'a (the correct name for "two-step") and you can swim any direction you want, following the coral formations and fish that most interest you! It's not like it's a very big area; the single entry point will give you access anywhere you want to go.

Edited: 1:06 am, November 04, 2012
Reply to: snorkeling from place of refuge north towards 2-step
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted