We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Albuquerque in March

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Albuquerque in March

I'm trying to put together a long weekend getaway to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday in the beginning of March. Can anyone fill me in on what Albuquerque is like that time of the year? Weather, activities, etc....

Thanks!

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Albuquerque in March

It's the desert so it can get warm during the day (probably ranges in the low 60s to low 70s for the high), but still pretty chilly at night (last freeze is usually in the middle of April). The weather is usually pretty mild during the spring, but towards the end of March and throughout April it gets really windy and dusty (hopefully you'll arrive early enough to miss this!) So--wearing a medium to light sweater or long-sleeved shirt during the day and definately a jacket at night is probably about right. Also, if you're planning to go up to Santa Fe, it is about 10 degrees colder.

Spring is usually pretty dry--doesn't rain much (actually, usually doesn't rain at all). I'd say the main thing to be aware of is the range in temperature. Regarding activities, I can't really think of anything specifically during the time you mention--the Fiery Foods Festival is often around that time (if you like sampling salsas and hot sauces). Taking the tram up to Sandia Crest (top of the Sandia Mountains) is always a good choice. It's about 15 min N off of I-25--take the Tramway exit east. There is a restaurant at the top (the food is average, but the views spectacular) and hiking trails (it's also about 10-15 degrees cooler up there than in the city). Also, Old Town in ABQ has a number of shops and restaurants. There are also a few day trips that might be of interest to you: Santa Fe, Bandelier--a Native American site near Los Alamos, and Taos.

Hope this is helps.

Bea

Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Albuquerque in March

Bea - Thanks for you advice. Still not sure what I'm going to do. Too many choices!

Marilyn

Middletown, Delaware
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Albuquerque in March

Bea - Thanks for you advice. Still not sure what I'm going to do. Too many choices!

Marilyn

Albuquerque, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Albuquerque in March

Beware the sand-laden Spring Winds, which are frequently gusting up about that time.

If you wear contacts, please bring a pair of glasses to wear as an alternate. Contacts can become a painful liability very quickly, and I know you won't want to waste time seeking medical treatment for your eyes or an optomitrist's attention for your contacts.

They don't always blow, but as someone who had a visit impacted, it's definitely something you should be aware of.

5. Re: Visiting Albuquerque in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 27, 2009