We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Hertz at ABQ if you use Hotwire or Priceline

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Hertz at ABQ if you use Hotwire or Priceline

Reserved a rental car at Hertz at ABQ in September. Used Hotwire and got a fabulous price. However, when we arrived at the rental counter, we were told that there weren't enough cars and we'd have to wait five or ten minutes. We waited 45 minutes and noticed that some people were indeed going straight out the door with a rental agreement in their hands. I talked to the other people waiting and we had one thing in common: we all rented via Hotwire or Priceline. I went to the counter and complained, loudly, and immediately got a car. When we walked to the lot, we saw at least 30 cars. I will never rent from Hertz at ABQ again.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Hertz at ABQ if you use Hotwire or Priceline

Perhaps. in future, you should get the best online deal ... direct from the agency of choice ??? carracar

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Hertz at ABQ if you use Hotwire or Priceline

It most likely wasn't the fact that it was Hertz, it could have been the priceline that caused the delay. Not sure why that would be, especially if it wasn't that many people and lots of cars. Did you reserve the smallest/cheapest/economy car? That may have been the reason. IF they were out of that size, they most likely were upgrading people at the counter to bigger cars, people who did not prepay with Priceline. I am guessing that they don't upgrade Priceline reservations.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Hertz at ABQ if you use Hotwire or Priceline

No, we were definitely mistreated. The guy at the counter even apologized when I figured out that certain customers were being treated immediately and others were being forced to wait. He said he gave us an upgrade just because he felt so bad. I'm the first one to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when something like this blatantly happens, I'm also going to warn others. It had nothing to do with the size of the car.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Hertz at ABQ if you use Hotwire or Priceline

One reason to not use third party booking agents is that the actual provider is NOT obligated to fill your reservation until they are certain that all of their direct customers have been satisfied. Carracar is right. If you want full service, then you should book directly with the providing agency, and not a discount broker.

This is not a "Hertz at ABQ" issue. This is a world wide policy.

5. Re: Beware of Hertz at ABQ if you use Hotwire or Priceline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 02, 2014