We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balloon ride

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Balloon ride

We will be in Albuquerque on 3/13-18 and want to experience a balloon ride. Should we choose rainbow Ryder or World Balloon? We are a family of 4. My kids are 4 and 10. I read that some people prefer a smaller balloon (Gondola) that takes about four people. Do those two companies have that type of balloon?

Also we will be doing the Sandia Peak Tram. Is this redundant to the balloon ride? Thanks in advance.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balloon ride

Yes to the size of the gondolas. Both have both sizes, and both are very good companies, with an excellent safety record. Either one would be fine.

No, the Tram isn't redundent. The view of the Rio Grande Valley is quite spectacular, as you will be at 10,000 ft. at the top of the tram. It will be chilly up there in March, about 15 to 20 degrees cooler than in Albuquerque. Try to time your ascent to get up just before sunset (which in NM are spectacular), and stay long enough to see the lights of the valley, east of the mountains, Santa Fe, and Los Alamos. There are some moderated trails from the tram, but if there is still a little snow, they could be slippery and muddy. Dress warm for the altitude.

Antioch, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balloon ride

Amen to the first reply re the balloon rides. We took Rainbow and found them very helpful despite several delays due to weather problems. Also, agree that tram ride not at all similar to ballon ride. There are more things to see by just walking around up there; plus is a restaurant. BUT, one thing to keep in mind if you are not used to it is the 10,000' altitude. I've been up there many time and never even noticed it, AND OTHER TIMES I had a headache and just couldn't wait to go down. Not sure why, but remember this with 4 personalities involved. (For adults, make sure no liquor before trip and plenty of water at all times)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balloon ride

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

4. Re: Balloon ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 18, 2014