We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining in or near Old Town

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dining in or near Old Town

Previously I wrote on this forum asking about how early to leave Santa Fe in order to be at the Balloon Festival by 5:30 AM. We have decided to spend Saturday night near Old Town so it will be much easier to get over to the fest, then drive to Santa Fe later that day. I'm looking for recommendations for dinner near or in this area. We aren't looking for fine dining, but would like to eat somewhere that has very good food. Thank you!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dining in or near Old Town

Season's has great food and the patio upstairs is more casual. Others near Old Town are Church St Cafe, Little Anita's, both are just ok. If you drive east on Central to the Nob Hill area you will have many options. www.itsatrip.org

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dining in or near Old Town

I'd second Season's for Old Town good dinner. And I'd second Nob Hill for many good options. There are other good places between Old Town and Nob Hill, but some require a commitment to a more fine dining experience or are more for breakfast or lunch. Have you been able to find a room in Old Town at such a late date for the balloons? Incidentally, you'll still need an early start for the time you need to be there and I wouldn't worry about gate tickets. I've never seen much of a line at the gates, and sometimes cash gets you in even quicker.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dining in or near Old Town

Another ditto on Seasons for very good, moderately-priced dining. If you are looking for "New" Mexican food, I would recommend the Church Cafe (on the little street behind the historic church on Old Town Plaza.) Note to locals as well: I've eaten at the Church Cafe now three times in tne past two months, and have found both the food and portions improved. The kitchen is still a little slow, but the very pleasant ambiance of Old Town's oldest building, and (in season) it's front and rear patios make up for the slight delays. Another favorite of mine in the Old Town area is the St. Claire Winery & Restaurant between I-40, and Old Town, on the west side of Rio Grande Blvd. Nice patio, and live music on occasion. I believe (I've been known to be wrong, :-), St. Claire is New Mexico's largest winery. You may shop for its many wine choices within the Restaurant/Winery.

I would like to request visitors to Old Town provide feedback to us on other OT restaurants, aside from those prefered by just your Albuquerque "Experts." That is what TA is for...to provide both information, and response regarding our recomendations, and yours! Thanks!

Edited: 4:02 pm, September 13, 2012
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dining in or near Old Town

I'm also a lover of Church Street Cafe. It's really good (not great) food IMHO. The ambience is great. And I also recently visited again (once in July and once in August). I found the service to be dramatically better and swifter than in the past.

Looking forward to trying Seasons, which hasn't been on my radar.

Keith

Colorado Springs...
Destination Expert
for Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dining in or near Old Town

I also really liked Church St Cafe. It's not fine dining, but it was excellent, and sitting out on the patio made for a lovely experience. I keep hearing good things about happy hour at Seasons from my coworkers in Albuquerque. I'm going to try and get there in one of my upcoming visits.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dining in or near Old Town

Reservations at Seasons complete! Maybe we will stop in Church Street for a before or after drink. Many thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dining in or near Old Town

Seasons has a bar upstairs that's very very casual. I prefer downstairs for dining (unless I'm with a big group) and downstairs even has a very small bar. Church Street would NOT be my choice for a before or after dinner drink. One reason: it's near the church and only serves beer and wine-based drinks. Also look at Q Bar in Hotel Albuquerque, pretty much next door, too, for "drinks". I think they often have live music, often jazz.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dining in or near Old Town

I'm also partial to St. Clair's for lunch or dinner. Keep in mind that Albuquerque and NM in general is a very casual place. Even finer restaurants, you're going to find folks in jeans and the like so I wouldn't sweat that stuff too much.

9. Re: dining in or near Old Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 18, 2013