We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandia Tramway - 2 questions

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Sandia Tramway - 2 questions

We'll be in Albuquerque in June, and the Sandia Tramway is on our itinerary. Is it crowded in the summer? Is it possible to buy tickets in advance? I can't find this information on the website. Thanks...

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandia Tramway - 2 questions

See this related recent question. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28952-i227-k51313…

summer is busier but nothing compared to October around balloon fiesta, when it can be a real challenge. i've never had to wait more than two flights (they go every 15-20 minutes regularly, except in high winds and electrical storms) and usually can get the next flight upon arrival. i've never heard of advance tickets but if you make reservations for dining at top, there's a ticket discount. as noted, dinner can be somewhat expensive and as you might think gets mixed reviews since it's a captive market up there, but still some love it for its unique setting and often decent food. again, timing for sunsets is most popular. I like mornings and often catch the first flight or two of the day, when there may be no one else aboard. enjoy the mountain and then i get a microbrew and burger at the restaurant when it's open for lunch.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandia Tramway - 2 questions

This is great information. Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandia Tramway - 2 questions

When you get to tram, there's a gate to pay about $1 for parking. The tram ticket counter is upstairs, adjacent to a gift shop. (Stairs or a small elevator; restrooms downstairs.) It is a small counter. I wonder if you can phone ahead for wait time or even a waiting list. I've never tried that. As I said, usually I go to ticket counter and can get on very next flight. Since it's a continuous cable you are waiting for a tramcar to get down from the top (about 15 minutes). If the next flight is already filled when you arrive, chances are one is about to leave and you just have to wait for the next to come down. There's a little waiting room, or you can spend time in the gift shop or even outside. There's also a sister restaurant there with a bar and a small pastry and coffee, etc. counter. People might start forming a line at the door because they want to stand near a window. Usually mountain side going up. Coming down, pretty much the same story but for some reason easier wait. Flights are announced in the restaurant if you are there. People want the valley, panoramic view going down.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandia Tramway - 2 questions

Very helpful -- I appreciate the details. Thanks again...

5. Re: Sandia Tramway - 2 questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, May 14, 2013