We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Guide us - NM Jan 08 - wanted scenery and good food

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help Guide us - NM Jan 08 - wanted scenery and good food

Hi all.

My boyfriend and I are pondering going to NM for a week trip in Jan to celebrate our 6th anniversary. Its looking like we'll be flying into ABQ and renting a car from there. I've got about 4 full days of time to drive around and see things.

I love scenery, taking pictures and being outside. I'm from the east so i've never seen the type of land that exists in NM and i'm excited. We also love finding wonderful places to eat (we're foodies) - especially one really nice place to eat on our anniversary.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Dana (from NY).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,285 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Guide us - NM Jan 08 - wanted scenery and good food

I would spend 1 or 2 nights in the Abq area and 3 nights in Santa Fe. There is so much to do, 4 full days will give you a taste of the area.

Here's some ideas..... Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Day 1 - Visit Old Town in Abq. Petroglyph Nat mon is in the western part of the city. Wonderful place to see. Further west, is Acoma Pueblo (Sky City) which may be something you really want to see. Another thing to consider is the tram to the top of the Sandias.

Dining in Abq is varied from national chains to small mom & pop's. We rarely eat out in Abq, but when we do, Little Anita's near Old Town is decent, El Pinto is great (my favorite salsa) and the Frontier Restaurant is a institution! There are many more restaurants, check in the Nob Hill area.

Day 2 - If the weather is not snowing, I would drive east on I40, then north on Hwy 14, which will take you the back way into Santa Fe. You drive through Madrid (the movie Wild Hogs filmed here). Some fun shops and then on to Santa Fe. Maybe a stop at Horseman's Haven in the southern part of Santa Fe, some of the best (and hottest) green chile in town!

Spend the rest of the day visiting the Plaza area in Santa Fe, maybe a museum. Tons of places to eat. Cafe Pasquals, El Farol, Blue Corn Cafe, Ore House..... visit www.santafe.org for listings of restaurants.

Day 3 - A drive to Bandelier or Pecos nat mon would be a fun trip. I would think tonight would be a good time to have that special dinner. The Compound, Geronimo's, Anasazi, La Casa Sena all great and top places!

Day 4 - Visit other sights around Santa Fe. Maybe a drive up to the Ski Basin, or a day trip to Taos via the high road (stop in Chimayo) and the river road back home.

Day 5 - Head back to Abq along I25. Maybe a stop in Bernalillo to see Coronado State Monument.

Arkansas
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Guide us - NM Jan 08 - wanted scenery and good food

If you are interested in Native American culture, etc.consider going to Chaco Canyon. You will need a vehicle capable of handling rough gravel roads, but the trip is worth it. We were there in Dec. a few years ago and it was amazing! Chaco is quite remote, so expect to make a full day of it.

Chow's Chinese Bistro is an excellent , non-buffett Chinese place. Also Azuma for sushi and Bea's for authentic New Mexican. Bea's is very "down market" but excellent food.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,285 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Guide us - NM Jan 08 - wanted scenery and good food

I did not know Chow's had restaurants in Abq as well as our favorite in Santa Fe. Good tip, thanks!

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Guide us - NM Jan 08 - wanted scenery and good food

I'd spend a day or two in Albuquerque and check out Old Town...lot's of shops and museums: Natural History Museum. Atomic Museum, Art and Hisotry Museum and land mark places to eat like High Noon and *Church Street Cafe. Then do a 1/2 day riding the Sandia Peak Tramway...will be really nice if there is snow. Have a drink at the High Finance at the top and eat at Sandiago's below.

Do a day in Santa Fe...rooms are pricier but lots of shops and galleries. Do spare a day for Taos...very friendly people and great rooms. I just recently had a weekend get away and really enjoyed myself...try breakfast at Doc Martin's....yummy!.

New Mexican Food in Burque: Frontier, Los Cuates, Ortegas, Garcias, Sadies and Cervantes.

NM Food in Santa Fe: Del Charro (good margaritas), La Choza, Tomasitas, Marias and Pasquals (but stuffy svc there).

Taos: Doc Martin's, Micheal's, Ogelvies

5. Re: Help Guide us - NM Jan 08 - wanted scenery and good food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 14, 2009