We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

northern tier
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

Hi

I am planning to fly out of ABQ in a few weeks, and am staying at the Homewood Suites at the airport for 1 night. I have some concerns about safety in this area, is this area safe?

Thanks

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

I wouldn't walk around there at midnight alone, but it's not overly dangerous. Just keep your valuables out of your car at night.

There's also almost nothing around that area in the way of restaurants.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

The Homewood Suites - Airport, is one of Albuquerque's newest hostelries. TripAdvisor guests have rated it 4.5 out of 5, and that score would be hard to match anywhere in Albuquerque.

The "immediate" area is still rather undeveloped, or has businesses (not the shopping kind, the corporate kind). It should be a safe area for you. Just keep your eyes open, as anywhere.

You'll need to just go north from the Suites to Gibson Blvd., and then back East maybe 1/2 mile to Yale Blvd. (the old, main entrance into the Sunport) to find several restaurants amongst many hotels/motels, south from Gibson/Yale.

Among these are:

The Yacht Club Chophouse & Grill: 2500 Yale Blvd. SE

Village Inn: 2340 Yale Blvd. SE

Vagabond Inn Executive: 1901 University Blvd. SE (just north of you)

Fuddruckers (famous for their burgers, but other things too)

2120 Yale Blvd. SE

Applebees: 2000 Yale Blvd. SE

Quarters BBQ (excellent!) 801 Yale Blvd. SE

Under no circumstances drive west of I-25 from Sunport or Gibson. Definitely not a place to be after dark. But, "that" neighborhood is at least a couple miles from the airport and your hotel.

Enjoy your trip! I hope you thaw out Carly! :-)

northern tier
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

Thanks so much for your imput!

The hotel seems like a really nice one, thanks for the info on what areas not to wander into.

Thanks!

Carly

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

We stay at the Hilton Garden Inn right by the airport when we have early flights. The neighborhood is not really a neighborhood, but an airport access area. Not the best place to be alone at night. We ate last trip at Applebee's which was really busy!

I would just stay in your room, watch some tv and relax!

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

Casa Azul has the best description as far as location....the neighborhood mainly consists of hotels, car rental facilities as well as other airport usuals. They also recently just got bought out by Hilton Properties and increased the services they offer. You are only minutes from Downtown and Old Town. FYI....in case you try to dine at the Yachtclub...which had really good seafood....they are now closed. If you get a chance while you are near the neighborhoold, check out the Nob Hill district on Central.....from Girard to Washington...lots of great places to eat and nice shops. Off of Gibson there is a really good New Mexican restaurant called Cervantes where a lot of locls like to dine. (Try their salsa).

6. Re: Hotels near Sunport-is this a safe area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, September 09, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Albuquerque