We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amtrak station

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
amtrak station

does anyone know if there are shops in this station. we will pass through on route from nyc to la and would like a post card or t shirt to say we were there(if only for 5 min)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,382 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrak station

I think there are shops and some vendors outside selling food etc. Usually the train stops in Albuquerque for awhile, long enough for you to get out.

Have a great trip.

Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amtrak station

There are several vendors in the parking lot and along the passenger walkway that sell items. There is a great little souviner shop inside of a bus in the parking lot (if it is still there). We always had time to get something to eat - some vendors sell food - shop and walk over to Coldstone Cremery and get ice cream. You will find what you need ~ the station isn't much I don't think we even went inside.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrak station

The Albuquerque Station was once one of the most beautiful on Santa Fe's line. It's hotel, was in it's time up through the 50's and 60's, one of Albuquerque's finest, until it was demolished because of it's upkeep expense. Other "landmarks" have unfortunately met the same fate in Albuquerque. We often do not value things until they are gone as we all know.

For many years afterwards, Albuquerque's station, was a small, dumpy little building, an embarrassment to our city.

FYI: (and I think the responder from Michigan must have come through, and saw the "old dump"), we have a beautiful, new complex that houses Amtrak, national bus lines, local buses, and the new RailRunner express commuter train, that currently runs to Bernalillo (15 miles north), and Belen (35 miles south)...it is hoped that within two years, fast service will be extended to the station in Santa Fe!!!!

Visitors will then be able to fly in to Albuquerque International Sunport, and take a short bus ride to a RailRunner station in the Rio Grande Valley below...then high speed it to Santa Fe. I'm told that arrangements are already being made, so that luggage would be sent directly to the RailRunner, just like transferring luggage between flights. (You hope, LOL!)

Please check out this website for a full review of our ''NEW" station, (still at the same, previous location on 1st St.).

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvarado_Transportation_…

We Albuquerqueans finally have something to be proud of, and for travelers on the Southwest Chief, Chicago to L.A,. a place to enjoy during their stop here. I'm sure you'll be able to find postcards, if not T-shirts, etc. It has also been a tradition for decades that our Native American artists sell their jewelry, pottery, etc. train-side. I have not been "into" the new facility, just past it, so I'm not sure that is still true, but have to imagine it is...much like their sales in our historic "Old Town" area.

May I offer you a "pre-arrival" welcome to Albuquerque!

Michigan
Level Contributor
125 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrak station

NM Photojournalist -- yes, it had been a few years since I had been through ABQ on the train. I am excited to here of the new station and changes -- I might have to take a trip on the train to see it all. Thanks for the update. My parents have a ranch in Quemado. I love New Mexico.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amtrak station

If you can afford to walk down the street five minutes there is Skip Maisel's shop on Central Ave and there's a few gift shops at the Hyatt off 3rd/Copper which is one block north of central. The station is near 2nd/Central.

6. Re: amtrak station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, September 07, 2009