We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in new mexico?

dallas tx
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
one day in new mexico?

We are traveling to the Grand Canyon but would like to stop at least one day in New Mexico to "do" something fun....we are traveling with 4 children ages 6-12 so does anyone have any suggestions on festivals or events that should not be missed? The dates are still open but it would be around the 21st or so of July.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in new mexico?

In Albuquerque, the Rio Grande Nature Center has an excellent kids' area. There's also the zoo and aquarium there.

Or, you could take them up to Sandia Peak on the tram.

Or, west of Grants are the ice caves.

This is all assuming that you want something near I-40.

Southwest
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in new mexico?

As Colinaz suggested, take the kids to Rio Grande Zoo (one of the best in the country in my opinion --- Of course San Diego Zoo is still tops), the Acquiarium and/or the Biological Park. As well as the New mexico Natural history musuem. All are in close proximity in the southwest rio grande valley in Albuqerque.

Later in the afternoon a trip on the Sandia Tram up to the Sandias is spectacular....

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in new mexico?

Right off of I-40.....you can exit at Rio Grande and check out "Old Town Albuquerque". There is the Natural History Museum/Planetarium, Art and History Museum, Atomic Museum and in the plaza or park center ....they sometimes have live music or the gun fighters club doing shoot outs. It's easy to find because it will be right off I-40.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,104 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in new mexico?

Have you been to Carlsbad Caverns? If you are travelling through the southeast part of NM, maybe this would be a fun stop! The hike in the natural entrance is fun, your kids will really enjoy it.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in new mexico?

Hi

I agree with Casa. Carlsbad Caverns are amazing plus see the bats fly out at dusk (5000 bats fly out per minute) plus you can visit White Sand dunes on your way from Az. Bring sunscreen and sunglasses!

If you travel through ABQ to Tx maybe stop at Palo Duro Canyon SP south of Amarillo.

Tet

6. Re: one day in new mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 04, 2009