We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creepy Crawly Things

Mission Viejo...
1 post
Save Topic
Creepy Crawly Things

Hello all. I will be moving to Rio Rancho soon and would Love some info. as to the types of critters I will be living with. I am terrified of spiders and have read about tarantulas and scorpions and even centipedes being there. I am hoping they are not very common and you don't see them often if at all.

Is there anything that I can do, besides an exterminator, to try and keep these things out of my home, garage and maybe even my yard? I will be living in the upper NE part of Rio Rancho if that helps. Unfortunatly, I know that I am real close to the open desert area and am hoping that won't make them more common!!!!

3 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
551 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Creepy Crawly Things

I moved to Corrales 15 years ago from LA and was surprised by the centipedes and scorpions. The scorpions weren’t huge black ones but still, scorpions. The centipedes are worse because they do not kill easily and they bite. Plus they can crawl straight up your walls and ceilings. In Rio Rancho I’m sure they have them and they will definitely be in your yard and perhaps your home. When I first moved out here I was told to always shake out your slippers and shoes before putting them on. Once I moved into town I stopped seeing scorpions and centipedes but got roaches instead. California just doesn’t have the insect life other places do. You will adapt. That’s the wonder of being human.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
551 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Creepy Crawly Things

Oh and if you really want to be grossed out look up Jerusalem crickets or Children of the Earth. The first time I found one in my pond I thought aliens. Also sun spiders( which also have another name I can’t remember) are real aggressive and so not afraid of you. I never saw a tarantula but plenty of black widows. You should be used to them from Ca.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Creepy Crawly Things

I guess my eyesight is bad. I've seen some bugs, but bugs are everywhere, not just in Albuquerque or New Mexico. Lived here since 1970, and some of the varmints mentioned I've never seen. My cousin lived in Riverview on the north of Rio Rancho, and never had any kind of bug problem.

Spiders yes, I've seen some of them. Usually very small and aren't at all agressive.

Why don't you come and spend some time here, hike the bosque where you might see some bugs, but maybe not. We have never had any bugs in our homes in Taylor Ranch and the valley. When I was single, never had any in the several apartments I lived in, so I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

Reply to: Creepy Crawly Things
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted