We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in New Mexico

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
4 days in New Mexico

My husband and I are arriving late at night and wanted to stay at airport. Next day travel to Santa Fe and stay overnight or two nights travel to Taos for the day and then return to Santa Fe or go directly to Albuquerque. Any thoughts where to stay and does this make sense.

thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in New Mexico

Hi

After arriving late at night I would visit Sandia Peak Tramway first thing next day and then drive the Turquoise Trail to Santa Fe. I also would stay 2 nights in Santa Fe, maybe visit Bandelier NM or stay in Santa Fe all day. Many things to see, it's a great town. Next day maybe take the high road to Taos and stay last night in Taos. Then drive from Taos to ABQ directly. Depends on what time your plane is departing.

We stayed in ABQ, Santa Fe and Taos but that was quite a long time ago so my knowledge is not updated. Maybe visit Tripadvisor Hotel Reviews for info.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in New Mexico

Hi Yo

There are many fine b&b's within just a few miles from the airport, and most don't mind a late arrival. See the TripAdvisor reviews. Some of them are very reasonably priced and can offer jetted tubs and saunas for weary travelers with jet lag and numb bottoms from plane travel. If you try one of these inns you can catch breakfast on them and gleen some local knowledge and color. You usually can't check-in any place in SF before 3pm, so use the day to explore ABQ. Perhaps see the petroglyphs on the westside of town, visit Old Town or Nob Hill, take a walk to the river at the Rio Grande Nature Center, or visit the Botanic Garden & Aquarium.

I appreciate Tet14's advice to take a tram ride up the mountain, it is a hoot and the view is incredible, but I don't suggest traveling up to the peak until you have at least 24 hours to get used to the altitude, at best give it 48 hours. ABQ sits at a mile high in the center of town. Sandia Peak is 10,200+. Even very healthy people can have problems with a trip from sea level to 10,000 plus ft in too short a time. We see it happen a few times a year. Happens often enough that they keep an oxygen tank and mask up there at the gift shop/Cafe.

When traveling north to Santa be sure to take the Turquoise Trail rather than the interstate. It is scenic and much more interesting than I-25. Stop in Madrid for a snack or shopping.

I risk being slammed for saying this, but Taos has really become another overpriced tourist town. It used to be very quaint. Unless you are going there for skiing, river rafting, hiking or other outdoor activities you may be disappointed in the cost. I have heard that from quite a few travelers. Best to read about it and be sure it is what you want.

Santa Fe has become so expensive that families who have owned and lived there for many generations can't afford to pay the taxes and stay, and have been pushed to the outlying areas by these economics. However...it does have incredible art, and museums, and is very pleasing to the eye as far as small cities go, due to very stringent zoning laws.

3. Re: 4 days in New Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Albuquerque