We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

Hello, We will be in Albuquerque very shortly w/2 teen boys. We would appreciate suggestions on things to do/see. We enjoy nature, easy hiking, video games (the boys), geography. They are not really interested in art. Things we are considering include Sandia Tram, Bandolier, Tent Rocks, Santa Fe itself, Acoma Pueblo, Indian Cultural Museum in ABQ, seeing where the continental divide is My husband does not feel safe enough to go in balloon.

Any other suggestions of things to do/places would be very helpful! Thank you.

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
932 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

Those are all good things to do, and if the timing permits (if "very shortly" means "this month," it's too early, but the season starts around April 1), you might try to catch a minor-league baseball game. The home team is the AAA-level Albuquerque Isotopes (seriously!) and they play in a nicer-than-average stadium. Note that the park is a notorious "launching pad" that favors hitters greatly over pitchers, so if you decide to combine the game with a picnic out on the berm beyond the outfield, you'll have reasonable chances for a souvenir.

Definitely plan to spend some time in Santa Fe. I have heard Meow Wolf there very enthusiastically reviewed by teenagers and just-past-teens -- not sure exactly how to describe it, they call themselves an "immersive art experience," and "a combination of jungle gym, haunted house, children’s museum, and immersive art exhibit," VERY definitely not your run of the mill art gallery. It's also not really a museum, not really a stage show, not quite a video game arcade, but whatever, it's very good for that generation. Check https://meowwolf.com/ for details, and note that they're closed Tuesdays.

Of the things on your list, I'd recommend against the Continental Divide; it runs through rather blah terrain in northern New Mexico and the time getting there and back can be better spent on other things. Tent Rocks and Bandelier both have excellent short hiking opportunities (Bandelier has considerably longer ones as well, but that sounds less to the point for you given your druthers and constraints). If you're going to spend a whole day in Santa Fe, the Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian has more interesting Native American stuff than the cultural museum in Albuquerque, IMO.

Finally, don't let safety concerns keep you from ballooning if that's interesting to you. You'll be in more danger driving to/from Santa Fe or Acoma than you will in a balloon.

Edited: 7:49 pm, March 09, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

Canbelto, Thank you so much for your great ideas and quick reply. We will be there in March, so no Isotopes this time. I will definitely look into Meow Wolf--it sounds very unique just from your description. And thanks for the suggestion on the Wheelwright Museum. Do you have any feeling about which of the different science museums that are in Los Alamos and Abq teen boys would like==specifically I see the Bradbury museum in Los Alamos and the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History? We will be staying in Abq, but is sure sounds like there is a lot to do in Santa Fe also. Would you say the drive between the 2 cities is around an hour/is there a lot of rush hour traffic?

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
932 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

I haven't been to the Nuclear Science museum since it moved to its current location, so my info on it is somewhat outdated. The last time I was there, it drilled down more deeply (perhaps surprisingly) into the nuclear weapons program than the Bradbury, which had more non-weapons stuff that LANL does. (At least one of my definitely non-weapons projects had a display there the last time I looked.) They are more complementary than competitive, and you wouldn't go wrong by making time for both. If you do go to the Bradbury, wander down the street to the visitor center for the Manhattan Project National Historical Park, which gives more of a historical perspective on the WWII-era project and also gives directions for a short walking tour of some of the historic buildings in town. Not really much to this park yet, but worth a quick stop if you're in town. (I volunteer there but am on a brief hiatus for medical reasons and won't see you.)

Driving from the ABQ airport to downtown Santa Fe is usually about an hour or a bit less. Yes, there is rush-hour traffic in Albuquerque (less in Santa Fe) that could slow that down some, but you'd be going opposite the main flow of traffic, so probably not too bad.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

Some very good suggestions. Isotopes would have been very good. Sandia Tram is always a hit with kids. Trails on top, too. There's a ranger info desk when you get to the top; often staffed. Indian Pueblo Cultural Center is a very good idea. My older daughter recently visited her teen brothers and suggested we go to one of two "escape rooms" in ABQ. We didn't make it afterall, but I think it would be worth looking into for family with teens. There's a great climbing gym (Stone Age) near the indoor water park around I40 and Carlisle. Those are also close by a very interesting place for different choices of casual food (and a microbrew tasting room) nestled around outdoor patios called Green Jeans, constructed from shipping containers. For some reason, often think gaming enthusiasts would find Astro Zombies comic bookstore in the Nob Hill area interesting. Great area to stroll, shop and eat, too. The Natural History Museum used to have an interesting exhibit on computer beginnings (since ABQ played a role), but that may have not been a permanent collection. Still, might want to check the museum out. Near Old Town. Lots of possibilities for easy hikes around: foothills, petroglyphs, river. A couple of trampoline places are popular with my kids, and now the big thing for midschool-age is the Main Event, an "amusement center" (not unlike Dave & Buster's). It drives me crazy, but very popular now for that age. Hinkles near the foothills is small amusement park. 'Course, there's also a very good zoo, a bio park and a small aquarium.

Friends have recommended Meow Wolf in Santa Fe. And Bandelier is one of my top suggestions.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

I think you have a good list! The tram for sure, as long as you remember that it's still snows winter at the top. The Natural History Museum has a great exhibit on the early history of computing as well as several IMAX movies.

Meow Wolf in Santa Fe has just reopened with updated exhibitions - it's very hard to describe, but almost everyone who goes wants to see it again.

Don't forget to stop by the Frontier Restaurant for a great meal and even better people watching.

6. Re: abq w/teens-things to do/see suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 15, 2018