We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best short hikes

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
746 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Best short hikes

I'll be in PF/PD with my young children, and we'll only have about half a day. I know there are lots of good short (< 1 mile) hikes, but I think we'll only have time for 2 or 3 of them (so we can also see the Visitor Center, the Inn, etc.) Which are the "don't miss" ones? These are the ones I've seen recommended:

Puerco Pueblo - 3/10 mi.

Blue Mesa trail - 1 mi. loop

Crystal Forest - 8/10-mi. loop

Long Logs - 2/3-mi. loop

Agate House - ½-mi. OW paved

Giant Logs Trail - ½-mi. loop

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best short hikes

The Giant Logs Trail (or is it the Long Logs?) is behind the Visitor Center at the south end of the park. You will be able to do both easily. The Puerco Pueblo isn't much as far as pueblos go, although there are some petroglyphs in the area.

I would actually do the trail down from behind the Painted Desert Inn. Many of the logs are intact and the pieces are quite large. You can actually see some of these logs in the distance from the overlook at the Inn. You can turn around any time you wish.

There again, you are doing both the Inn and a trail.

The drive through the park, following posted speeds and making no stops, is about an hour in length from north to south.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
103 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best short hikes

We were there recently and would definitely recommend the Long Logs, at the southern end of the park, as one of your choices. The trailhead is an easy walk from the Rainbow Forest Museum. We didn't do the aforementioned Giant Logs, but it looked interesting too.

We are also glad that we took time to watch the 20 minute film as we were entering the park on the north side. Educational, and I would think that young children would enjoy with it, with the pictures of prehistoric creatures, etc.

This NP is an understated one, without the jawdropping beauty of some. But there is still much to appreciate. Visit now, before more petrified wood walks out of the park :(

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best short hikes

In a 1/2 day you can see most of the park. You can drive to many of the stops and just get out and look. I would also visit Agate Bridge.

My son enjoyed these: Puerco Pueblo, Agate House, and Long Logs. The Visitor Center is a must see as well as Giant Logs Trail.

4. Re: Best short hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 15, 2009