We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ragland mansion

Which Petersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ont.
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ragland mansion

I'm considering staying at the Ragland Mansion in petersburg, VA.

Is there someone out there who can share some experience with their visit to the B&B and its location?

Petersburg, VA
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: ragland mansion

I have not visited the R. Mansion,(205 S. Sycamore St., phone -804-861-1932), however I am a resident and never miss an opportunity to let folks know how grande the City is. The exterior of the Ragland Mansion is fabulous, as are the surrounding homes.

At the base of Sycamore St. is Old Towne, not to be missed---a number of quaint restaurants and shops. Our visitor center is also located in the same area where you can pick up literature about our historic tours. Blandford Cemetary is close by -the Historic Blandford Church houses Tiffany windows. We are also home to a National Civil War Battlefield.....a lovely drive with interpretation centers throughout.

April is Garden month in VA so spring gardens are particularly beautiful. (24th is the Garden Tour in Petersburg)

Hope you have a great visit.

Annapolis MD
Level Contributor
1 post
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ragland mansion

We stayed at the Ragland Mansion in Petersburg for two nights on 9/1/07 & 9/02/07. For $105 a night, it was a real steal compared to what we pay around Washington and Baltimore (where it would have been easily $250+). We loved it ! We stayed in the Evelyn Room. We are a big fan of old houses and this one is very gentile and overall in very good shape for its age. The owners have obviously spent a lot of money on restoration. It was just so fun to wake up in the old bedroom with 14' high ceilings. The Evelyn Room is on the back of the house so it was VERY quiet. Two other couples were staying there too and the only time we heard or saw them was at breakfast., which was also very elegant in the dining room. The head owner was not there when we were there because of Labor Day weekend but we still felt well taken care of. We had a King bed- very nice and poofy. The bathroom was charming- all different shades of white with a lovely claw foot tub to soak in. The house is on the front road of the old Poplar Lawn district which had all kinds of beautiful old homes. But I must say it is also close to a fairly "seedy" part of town although we never felt threatened. We hit all the major sights- you can buy three tickets costing $5 each for $21. We started at Seige Museum (a very good place to get a feel for the local civil war history), then we went to Blandford Church (really does have some outstanding Tiffinay windows), and then we visted Centre Hill mansion (very rich old home with gorgeous moldings-looks a lot better inside than outside). We also visted Pamplin Historical Park which for $13.50 still was a very good deal as we spent about 4-1/2 hours there. It is very good for middle age children and the grounds were absolutely immaculate. Make sure to take the Main Loop/Intermediate Loop walks- we did it first thing in the morning and it was perfect. I can imagine the Park gets crowded but when we were there, it was not at all. People there were really nice and I think they really liked having tourists come see their town. Another local highlight was King's BBQ which one of the museum guides told us about. It's south of Ragland Mansion by about 2-3 miles. Very local flavor- excellent BBQ and apple pie but no beer. We loved it and again, VERY inexpensive compared to big city standards Most of the restaurants and shops were closed on Sunday, especially because of Labor Day weekend. Overall, Peterburg is now a small Southern town that is struggling but still has some really nice attractions to offer and has none of the hassles of traffic or parking you find elsewhere, and most importantly, we really felt welcome. A very nice mini-trip.

3. Re: ragland mansion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Petersburg