We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is Corpus Christi for family vacation over spring break?

Which Corpus Christi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How is Corpus Christi for family vacation over spring break?

Hello,

We are trying to decide on a vacation destination over spring break. We have gone to the gulf coast of Florida and like that very much. We were thinking of trying something different this year and Corpus Christi was at the top of our list. How would Corpus Christi be with kids in March/April? Does it get crazy with college students? How is the shelling? Are their biking trails? Does anyone have a recommendation for condo to rent/hotel that would be good for younger kids? Are the condos/hotels in walking distance to shops restaurants or do you need to drive? Any info. would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is Corpus Christi for family vacation over spring break?

Spring break lasts for several weeks with some more intense than others. CC is not one of the prime college kid destinations, but it will affect things. Shelling is not very good along any of the Texas coast. From CC north to Port Aransas there are many condos. A few have restaurants but most do not, so driving will be part of the equation.

TXJ
Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is Corpus Christi for family vacation over spring break?

I am not sure if you are aware, but the CC beaches are on the bay not on the actual gulf.....no waves on the bay. My girls always want to play in the waves. We enjoyed our trip to CC. It is spread out so you must have a car. I suggest maybe staying in North Padre if being at the beach is a big deal for your family. Port Aransas also has a nice selection of condos on the beach. Corpus has a great aquarium and the USS Lexington. You can tour the Lexington (beware if you have small kids ....lots of stairs).

I don't know about the college kid scence at Spring break. Shelling was not great in the area we were in. Corpus was nice, but I must warn you it is not Florida. I don't know if you are looking for water and beach like you would find in FL. If you are you might be disappointed in CC. THe water looks like lake water. We had a fair amount of sea weed while we were visiting. It is a nice getaway for a short trip depending on what you are looking for.

Places to stay: We have stayed in 2 places in CC. We stayed at the Navy Lodge last time. It was great, but you have to military. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on North Padre the time before. I think it was called Holiday Inn Sun SPree. I'm not sure. It was fine for a holiday inn. The best part about it was the location ...right on the beach...., the little cabana for food/drink, and live music on some nights. It seemed expensive at the time for what it was, but it worked well. I would consider a condo or beach home. You might try VRBO.com. You can find quite a few condos/homes on that site. I looked at a few for our last trip.

Good luck!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is Corpus Christi for family vacation over spring break?

There are tons of plaes with Gulf beach access. I think we have a little issue of where CC city limits are. The point is to make sure you're on the Gulf. Don't waste any time looking at hotels/condos in downtown or anywhere with Bay access.

4. Re: How is Corpus Christi for family vacation over spring break?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 16, 2009