We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas Beach Vacation

Which Corpus Christi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmond, Oklahoma
1 post
Save Topic
Texas Beach Vacation

Me and my boyfriend (both age 23) are planning a week long vacation for next month (May 2014). Due to limited funds, we won't be flying anywhere but we'd still like to go to a beach. What we're planning to do is drive from Oklahoma City to Corpus Christi. I've never been, so I l'm looking for suggestions on what to do while there. For example: what beach front to visit, places to go at night, what attractions are a "must see" while there. We're a young couple, but definitely not looking for a spring-break experience, i.e., getting wasted on the beach. But a suggestion for a good bar would be appreciated. Basically any advice, tips, and suggestions for the area is what I'm looking for.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,061 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas Beach Vacation

You must first decide which area fits you the best. The best beaches are in Mustang Island near Port Aransas. This is a 30 minute drive from Corpus Christi. There are plenty eateries and you can drive on the beach. Most accomodations are condos with 3 night minimums. There are some hotels in Port A but not on the beach.

Farther south is north Padre Island. There are several hotels, Holiday Inn comes to mind (Sunspree Resort) that have direct beach access. Beyond there is the National Seashore that is a National Park with natural beaches and camping facilities.

In the city we have 2 main beaches on the bayfront. Both are walkable from downtown hotels...North Beach and Mc Gee Beach. These kept clean by the city and regularly raked but not on the open ocean so little, if any, wave action.

There are nice restaurants downtown as well a live music like Brewster Street Ice House and the Executive Surf Club. You can also visit the Texas State Aquarium and USS Lexington Museum on the Bay, a WWII aircraft carrier.

As you see, you have several options. Most,choose the Gulf beaches and drive into the city for its attractions. If you choose the city, I would suggest he Omni as the best hotel, with beautiful views of the bay and Marina.

Edited: 4:34 pm, April 30, 2014
2. Re: Texas Beach Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 02, 2015