We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Family Vacation.

Which Corpus Christi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
July Family Vacation.

Hello Corpus Experts, I could really use your help. My family and I will be going there for vacation this summer and need good solid advice on where to stay. We're from DFW, so heat is no big deal. Anyway, reviews I read about hotels there seem real conflicting. We are a family of four consisting of myself, my wife, and two daughters (ages 17 and 13). The beach is important to me (the real beach, not the bay). Activities such as The Aquarium, eating, shopping are more important to them. Don't get me wrong, I want to do that stuff as well, but I want the beach more than they do. We usually stay at places like Embassy Suites for the setup and kitchenette. We really just need a good place with at least a microwave and fridge. I want us to be close to everything, but in a safe area. I have never been there so don't know much about the area except that I know I would like the gulf over the bay, but will stay near the bay if that is a better option as far as meeting their needs more than mine. I saw bad reviews on all the hotels on the island, which really disappointed me since I wanted to stay on the island initially to be near the beach. I have memberships in Hilton Honors, Priority Club, Choice Hotels, Marriott Rewards. Please help me, as I want to make a reservation before things disappear. Thanks.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Family Vacation.

Most of the best accommodations on the island are in condos. Check Sandcastle and Port Royal for starters. This is a good 30 minute drive from Corpus Christi. I have almost no experience with Port Aransas condos so maybe others can help here.

As far as the city (on the bay) accommodations, the best hotel is the Omni, followed by the Holiday Inn Marina. Both full service hotels with great bay views and within walking distance to many shops and restaurants. You can take the ferry to North Beach for the Aquarium and the USS Lexington Museum.

Many hotels are located along Padre Island Drive. These hotels are near shopping but a good distance from both the island and the bay itself and from what you have described you are looking for, I would avoid.

One hotel on the beach in the city is the Emerald Beach. Formerly a Holiday Inn property. A bit dated but right on the bay. The Radisson is on North Beach but receives very mixed reviews.

Just a block from the water is the V boutique hotel with very good reviews and the Best Western Marina is on Shoreline Drive but does not compare to the Omni or the Holiday Inn for quality.

Enjoy our city. As you know, it will be quite warm in July!

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Family Vacation.

Thanks Gehrig, that was very helpful. I will look into the condos you mentioned as well as the hotels mentioned. I reserved us a spot at SpringHill Suites because the price was fantastic and the hotel is newer (I get a Government Discount). I know it isn't in my preferred area and I would need to drive, but it is just being used to make sure I have something to go to if all else fails. I plan on cancelling it when I find where I really want to go, if the price is still within my means. As for Port Aransas, that isn't an option at all. The missus has her heart set on the Aquarium and other activities in Corpus. Thanks for your info.

North Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Family Vacation.

On the island, on the beach there are 2 condo rentals that get pretty good reviews, Island House http://www.vrbo.com/3528122ha is an example or you can call the office directly for prices- they manage all the rentals. http://www.ccislandhouse.com/, or gulfstream http://gulfstreamcondos.com/

these are both on padre island, not mustang island so you are close to restaurants, shops, etc and short trip over the bridge to the downtown destinations of Lexington and Aquarium without having to stay on the bay and North Beach is not recommended although it has some fun kitschy beach shops and very casual restaurants you can check out when you visit the aquarium. Trip from N padre island to Aquarium should be less than 30 minutes. Right across the street (and the beach) from those self catering options would be a Wyndham property that gets fairly decent reviews hawthorn.com/hotels/…hotel-overview but no balcony and not much of a beach view and comfortsuites.com/hotel-corpus_christi-texas… right next door, also across the street from beach but it has about 3 rooms with balcony and beach view. Avoid the Holiday Inn same area. I live on the same street as these places so ask away if you have any questions and have a great time when you visit in July!

4. Re: July Family Vacation.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 28, 2014
DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Family Vacation.

cbtx, thanks for the very helpful info. I will be continuing to check out all the info you shared. I was looking at Island House, but they're a little out of my budget. I need to stay under $180 per night and would prefer less. I might go for something on the bay, but I heard to not stay in North Beach, so that would leave The Radisson out. Anyway, you and Gehrig have given me quite a bit to look into and I am very grateful. My family would probably prefer the bay over the island (I'm the beach person), so we will probably go towards the bay area. Regardless, I WILL be going to the island as I need a real ocean. Thanks again and please keep an eye out here as I'm sure I'll have questions as time gets closer :)

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July Family Vacation.

Thanks alicetaylortexas, will be checking them out.

North Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
195 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July Family Vacation.

You might try Beach Club Condo's they are on the same strip and appear to be in your budget.

http://www.vrbo.com/439892

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July Family Vacation.

Thanks cbtx, will check them out also.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July Family Vacation.

I think your best option is the Omni, then the Holiday Inn. Both are walking distance from a beach and a short ferry ride to North Beach and the Aquarium and Lexington. Also, they are best located for walking to nice eateries. The views of the Marina and bay are nice as well. Your drive to the Gulf will be very nice along Ocean Drive and out Padre Island Drive, less than 30 minutes.

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July Family Vacation.

Well Gehrig, you're probably be right. As long as they both have a microwave and fridge of some sort. Might go the condo route on the island, but only if the price is right. I do have SpringHill Suites as a back up because it is newer and I got a really good deal on price($97 per night) due ro my discount. Still would prefer the island or bayside. Thanks again.