We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corpus Port Aransas Trip Report

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Corpus Port Aransas Trip Report

Just came back from a weekend trip to CC and Port Aransas. Just some thoughts and experience that I offer incase it might help anyone.

Stayed at the Hyatt Palace. Nice hotel, good location, nice rooms with a fridge, etc. Free breakfast (not the greatest but better than a continental breakfast) and free wifi (kinda slow though).

First day, ate Lunch at Executive Surf Club Burgers. Terrible chicken fried steak, probably worst I've ever eaten. Wife's chicken burger was ok. Friend asked for grilled fish and they accommodated so he was happy. Its self order place. It was personality but no ambiance. The guy taking the order was having a bad day cause he was giving attitude to all customers. Might not ever go again but next time, would definitely try the burger instead of the chicken fried steak.

Had ice cream and coffee next door at Coffee Waves. Very nice clean place with cool funky Gelatos and strong delicious coffee. Would come here again for sure.

The North Beach area is much nicer than I expected. It's a full sized, proper beach. I thought it would be like 50 yards of man made beach but it was much nicer than that.

The Pier 99 area was ok but the sand at that beach was not appealing. Too much crushed shells. Someone said there were a lot of jellyfish there, very close to shore, so I would be cautious going in there but there were hundreds of people that didn't seem to care.

Dinner: La Playa close to hotel. For a Sat night, it was pretty dead inside even with a live guitarist playing. Food was just average at best. No one would ever go there if it was in Houston with all the competition. The friend avocado was worth ordering just to try it out. They didn't have any fresh fish, just Talapia which sucked. Out of our group of 4, no one was impressed.

After Dinner: Went to Harrison's to see the bridge lights based on someone's recommendation here on this board. I didn't think it was a great view. It is too far. I'm sure there is a better view from somewhere else. It was nice walking along the shore. There were too many loud street cars though which was really annoying.

Next day: Drive to Port Aransas was nice. Even though it is high season, 361 traffic was not bad. We went to the beach via Cotter Rd which was nice. A little more secluded and family friendly. The town is nice and touristy. Reminded me of trips to Florida. The whole town and beach are at least 1000 times better than dirty filthy Galveston.

Lunch in Port Aransas at Beaches Cafe was probably the best meal of the trip. Nice staff and good food. BBQ sauces were delicious.

Aransas Ferry: OMG, what a waste of time. Hour wait for a 2 minute ferry. Why not just build a freakin bridge!!! Next time, I would take SPID back to Houston.

North Texas
Level Contributor
286 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corpus Port Aransas Trip Report

Thanks for the report, ZeeAK. We are heading to Port A next week and will check out Beaches Cafe.

2. Re: Corpus Port Aransas Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 17, 2014