We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

Which Corpus Christi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

Hello

We will be coming in to Houston for a 9 day break and I would be grateful for any tips please?!

I've been looking at Galveston but from what I've seen your beaches etc look better?

Is that the case (be honest ;-0 )

Also how long is the drive from IAH airport going to take approx?

We arrive this Friday morning and leave next Sunday night.

Really appreciate any advice you can give me, have 2 kids 10 + 12 (oh and the Mrs likes shopping unfortunately!)

Cheers!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

My order of preference for beeches in TX are: 1 South Padre, 2 Port Aransas, 3 Galveston. The problem(for you) is that South Padre is farthest, Port A next, and Galveston is the closest. From IAH it's about 2 hours.

I'd say for the sake of the sanity of the family, that I'd stick to Houston and Galveston. Galveston has Schliterbahn (waterpark) that the kids will love. There also is NASA, again a kid pleaser. The Galeria area has great shopping. There are lots of fun restaurants (like the Aquarium) as well as great local "dives."

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

Corpus is about a 5-6 hour drive from Houston. We did this drive last year with our 6 and 11 years old with no problem and it's an easy drive down. Rockport and Fulton are nice little towns to dine and visit in.

True, CC and beaches further south are prettier unfortunately than Galveston. Galveston has its own charm though. In CC, be sure and visit the USS Lexington http://usslexington.com/

Welcome to Texas!!!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

The beaches here are nicer than Galveston and the Port Aransas/Rockport area has a bit of a sleepy fishing village/art colony vibe to it. None of the orchestrated tourist attractions like Galveston...

The beach is the focus here; wading, swimming, fishing, kayaking, sailing, birdwatching, surfing, etc. Lotsa local eateries and drinking holes! The drive should not take you more than 4.5 hours, I make it in just over 4 depending upon traffic. If you choose to head this way let us know if we can help in any other way.

Welcome to Texas. Bring/buy plenty of sunscreen. The weather has been gorgeous lately.

Edited: 5:24 pm, March 26, 2013
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

CC seems like a rough town with a lot of oil refineries, a struggling downtown, and marginal beaches. Fairly shocking, actually. I'd go elsewhere.

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

I am not a local, but visit the beaches near Corpus Christi almost every year. We prefer to stay on North Padre Island or Port Aransas (same island as North Padre,, but a town about 20 minutes north). North Padre is a barrier island between the ocean and Corpus Christ's bay. We prefer to be on the island, because the waves are higher and the beaches are better (in our opinion). We have stayed at Port Royal for years, but I plan on trying Cinnamon Shores next time. The complex is new and looks beautiful. We went to Galveston about 15 years ago and I prefer Port A. Having said that, if I were in Houston already, I don't think I would make the drive to Port A. Galveston is just out of Houston and the difference is not enough to necessitate the drive. Also, the shopping would be better in Houston/ Galveston. Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

I agree with Octoboy. If beautiful beaches are the most important attraction for your family, go to South Padre, but it's quite a drive. Port A/North Padre are not as pretty as S Padre and the vibe of the island is really laid back. Galveston has an interesting history and is close to Houston with all that a big city has to offer. If you are looking for another destination, San Antonio is only about 2.5 hours from Port A.

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

Thanks all for your help....very kind

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

I hope post #4 dos not dissuade you from considering the Corpus Christi area. Our economy is booming right now, be it primarily blue collar and tourism. Yes, we have many oil refineries at the Port of Corpus Christi but they are nowhere near the beaches and Mustang and Padre Islands.

Downtown is filled with great restaurants, museums, and interesting attractions for visitors. Yes, the retail businesses have mostly fled to the Southside but there is much to see and do along the bayfront downtown for visitors.

Not sure what a "marginal beach" is...we have miles and miles of coastline and the longest undisturbed natural beach (Padre Island National Seashore) at the southern tip of the city.

Lastly, as most cities, there are parts of town I would suggest to avoid after dark...nothing out of the ordinary. The generalized comment about the entire city being "rough" is not accurate.

Good luck with your plans for visiting Texas. I will be in your great city in June. We love London, have friends just outside the city, and visit quite often.

9. Re: Advice for a 1st time Brit please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Corpus Christi