We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about this area

Which Corpus Christi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
69 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about this area

We are planning to spend 3-5 days near Corpus Christi in early January. We have never traveled to this area at all before and wonder about the best area to stay, and/or North Padre Island. Is NP a good place to visit? We love the ocean, relaxing and pretty drives and walks. We do not care about shopping. Any suggestions or ideas for a few days in the area?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about this area

North Padre Island is fine, I'm guessing you will have a car? You can walk the beach but will have to drive to most watering holes and eateries. The National Seashore would be just a short drive south and Port Aransas about the same distance north. You would be 25 minutes from downtown Corpus Christi and its museums, aquarium, and restaurants.

If you would like a small town, fishing village vibe then I would look at staying on Mustang Island in or near Port Aransas. A bit touristy but not in January. Lotsa Winter Texans and locals. Plenty of small restaurants and bars with all kinds of cuisine. Would be my first choice.

You do know we drive on the beaches here in Texas. Kinda crazy but its all about keeping the beaches free for everyone to access. The driving area is separated from the waters edge. You will need a permit to park your car on the beach!

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Here is hoping for nice weather in January!

Edited: 8:35 pm, December 05, 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
69 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about this area

Thank you! Yes, we will have a car, a Jeep, so will enjoy driving on the beach! It sounds like some interesting things to do inside, too, should the weather not be great. We live in northern Indiana, so we do not mind if it is not hot! 60s and up are plenty warm for us. If I think of some specifics, I will contact you! Thanks, again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,149 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about this area

We stayed at one of the two Omnis when we were in Corpus this summer. It was a great location, and had a nice pool, but I wasn't super impressed with the cleanliness of the place. It's right on the main strip right across from the beach.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
7 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about this area

another great place to look at and is not too far from Corpus, is Rockport. There is a state park, Goose Island that is north of Rockport. You can take the ferry from Port Aransas and follow SH 35 up to Rockport. Rockport also has a beach, but you can't drive on that one. You can also go on boat tours to see the famed "whooping cranes". They winter at Aransas wildlife refuge which is even further north of Rockport. If you like birding South Texas is your place to go.

Also right in Corpus you have the Lexington Museum, Texas State Aquarium, Natural Science museum and Art Musuem. All of those are with a 2 mile radius of each other. Just have to cross the Harbor Bridge.

Another interesting thing to do is to watch the lights on the Harbor bridge. The lights change about every 30 seconds and they are all colors of the rainbows. It is really quite pretty. You can sit at the Water Gardens that is locate at the bottom of the bridge and watch them.

Anywhere you chose you will have a good time. The Corpus Christi area is a great place to visit.

Wales
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about this area

We are also planning to come to South Texas in February, from Wales UK, and have thought about having CC as a base. We are golfers and are wondering which area might be central for us. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about this area

I am not a golfer so can't help with course information. This is the best of all the local courses:

www.newportdunesgolf.com/layout10.asp…

They offer "Stay and Play" packages. To my knowledge there are no golf resorts in the Corpus Christi area. There are plenty 2.5 hours north in San Antonio.

I'm guessing you will have a car as it will be a must. There are plenty courses in and around the city that are open for public play and quite affordable.

http://www.osobeachgolf.com/ is one in the city that gets good reviews.

Wish I could help more.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
69 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about this area

Thank you! We were looking at the Omni.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
69 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about this area

Thank you! We love birding, so love that info! We plan to visit Port Aransas, and will look into Rockport as well.

Edited: 8:59 pm, December 28, 2012
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about this area

The Omni is the best full service hotel in the city. If booking be sure and book the "bayfront tower" not the "marina." Tower has been renovated whereas the marina has been sold and soon will become a Holiday Inn. Currently they are two separate properties a block apart being managed by Omni as one hotel.

Edited: 12:45 pm, December 29, 2012
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about this area

A visit to the legendary King Ranch might be in order. They have daily tours that focus on the history of the ranch but also offer nature tours for lovers of wildlife. The ranch headquarters is just outside Kingsville about a 45 minute drive from Corpus Christi.

http://www.king-ranch.com/nature_tours.html