We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping around National Harbor

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping around National Harbor

I will be visiting National Harbor in a couple of weeks. I am looking to do some cheap shopping (Walmart, Target, Kohl's etc).

Are there any of these stores close, and how would one get to them?

We are flying to DC so bringing food and drink for the week is not really feasible.

What about liquor/grocery shopping?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

Will you have a car?

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

No, no car unfortunately.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

National Harbour is in a neighborhood known as "Oxon Hill" (although the NH management take great pains to avoid any association with that name). Oxon Hill was my original hometown and I still go there often and know it intimately. There are no supermarkets or department stores on the NH premises, which is separated from the surrounding community by a long entrance road and high security walls. The "Rivertown" shopping center, 2 miles to the east, has a K-Mart and a "Safeway" supermarket. There is also a "Giant" supermarket, 2 or 3 miles south. There are no other department stores closer than 4 miles away (at least not on the Maryland side of the River).

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

I just want to add, during your stay at NH, be sure to ride the ferryboat to visit historic Alexandria across the River to spend a few hours. You will find there many gift shops, restaurants, and charming old colonial-era houses and buildings adjacent to the ferry landing.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

There is also an older "Safeway" supermarket about a half-mile from the ferry landing in Alexandria. From the ferry landing, just walk South on Union Street parallel to the River, for several blocks, until you see on the right side, an unusual short tunnel beside a children's playground/ ballfield. Walk through this short tunnel, and as you emerge on the other side you will be at the Safeway market. While in Old Town Alexandria, also be sure to see the unusual "Torpedo Factory" 2-level artists' studio complex.

Edited: 11:20 pm, August 08, 2010
La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

One more thing: In Virginia, wine and beer are sold at grocery stores, but hard liquor is sold only at state-government run stores, which are discreet and hard to identify/locate. Groceries in Virginia are charged sales tax. In Maryland (and I think DC) wine, beer, and hard liquor, all are sold only at privately-run liquor stores, which are well-advertised. Groceries are tax-free in MD and DC.

Edited: 1:42 pm, August 09, 2010
Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

Thank you so much for all of the advice. I had a hard time finding stuff online. Looks like we'll be visiting the duty free on the way in!

Thanks again.

8. Re: Shopping around National Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, February 06, 2011