We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Denver to Salt Lake City

Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Denver to Salt Lake City

We plan to fly BA to Denver next June and drive to Salt Lake City for a Convention amd return to Denver afterwards. Can you advise interesting route and any other things to see whilst in the area. We want to get the most possible out of the trip.

logan, ut
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Denver to Salt Lake City

Definitely drive I-70, not I-80.

Stop at all of the view points along I-70. You can get a mini glimpse of the San Rafael Swell.

How long do you have to sightsee? There are a million places to go.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Denver to Salt Lake City

How many days would you like to plan for the drive, both West to SLC and returning to Denver? The fastest drive would be on I-80 with I-70 a bit longer and more scenic.

You could take I-70 to past Dillon and turn north at Silverthorne on CO-9 (Colorado state route 9) to Steamboat Springs. That would be a reasonable stop in the mountains if you want a one night / two day drive.

There are several alternative longer routes if you want to take longer. (a) Go through Estes Park and Rocky Mountain N.P. or (b) Aspen to Leadville to Gunnison, or (c) aim for Durango and Mesa Verde N.P.

You could even go north through Yellowstone and Grand Teton N.P. if you have at least four or five days.

What are your constraints?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Denver to Salt Lake City

Hi

Agree with the I 70 stretch, not only scenic in Colorado but also in Utah especially between Green River and Salina (not the shortest route). A visit to Canyonland NP and Arches NP near Moab is a must. And again: How much time do you have to visit this wonderland?

Tet{:o)-