We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

Hi -

A few of us are driving from SLC to Jackson hole tomorrow. With the current conditions and temperatures, I was wondering if someone could suggest the best route and have an idea of how long it will take.

Thanks,

Eric

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

I'd probably stick to I-15 to Idaho Falls and then hope the pass over to Victor and then Teton Pass to Jackson Hole are good.

The other option we have gone this time of year is east on I-80 to Evanston and north to Afton etc.. This is a little less traveled road but is a little more direct.

You'll have chance of residual snow or ice most likely in the canyons and higher elevations along either route. So daytime travel would be wise.

Either route is about 5 hrs

Edited: 6:11 pm, February 04, 2014
Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

Thanks for the guidance -

We have a minivan rented for th:e trip - do you think we'd be fine with that and chains, or should we upgrade to a SUV with 4WD?

Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

I hear it is supposed to snow sometime tomorrow, but I haven't checked how far north that system will go. Normally a minivan would be fine. Though if it is snowing I'd want something more ready to handle it. I don't think they encourage chains on rentals.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

Thanks again for the input - One last one - Is there a road condition website that you recommend checking before we hit the road tomorrow?

Thank you :)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

www.wyoroad.info/511/511Announcement.html for wyoming

www.google.com/url…

for Idaho

6. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson Hole Tomorrow - Routes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, February 07, 2015