We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

My husband has a two-week training in the Salt Lake City vicinity the first two weeks of August. We have decided to make a mini-vacation of it as we spent a few days in the area last summer and couldn't get enough!

We have a two-year-old who is a great little traveler - he can get antsy after a couple hours in the car, but overall he's pretty easy going when traveling. We have done everything with him from beaches, zoos, museums, aquariums, parks, fishing, easier hiking (backpack or stroller), etc. He likes it all unless he has to go in water :) no pools or splash pads!

We will have early evenings for two weeks (M-Thu after 3:30-4ish) and one weekend (Fri late afternoon-Sunday evening) to do some sightseeing. We will have a rental car.

Last year we saw Park City, hiked Bridal Veils Falls, drove I-80 to Rock Springs, WY to visit family, fished Flaming Gorge, drove through some of Wasatch National Forest, fished Strawberry Reservoir, and visited Antelope Island, played in the Great Salt Lake a bit.

I am looking for recommendations! Do you have suggestions for:

1. Daytime activities (just me and the boy!),

2. Evening activities

3. The weekend - one of the National Parks? We're open to anything. I just don't know where to start because there is so much to see and last year every time I turned around there was another stunning view and incredible beauty of your state!

On a totally separate note if you have a grocery store recommendation that has a good selection of gluten free items I'd appreciate that too (our little traveler is allergic to dairy, soy and gluten! Poor kid!).

Thank you in advance! We can't wait to get back in a few short weeks!

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Rock Springs
Rock Springs
Sweetwater County, WY
Great Salt Lake
Great Salt Lake
748 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,994 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

I don't have kids so don't really know the attention span of a two-year-old but having a car should make things easier to access. Here are a few options...

For daytime activities there is Lagoon Amusement Park, Museum of Natural History and Red Butte Gardens, Thanksgiving Point, Discovery Gateway Children's Museum, rides and playgrounds for small children at Liberty Park, Sugarhouse Park, Utah's Hogle Zoo and across the street This Is The Place Heritage Park, Living Planet Aquarium, easy walk around the boardwalk at Silver Lake up Big Cottonwood Canyon, etc

For evening activities I would go up to Albion Basin the first chance you get, to see the spectacular wildflowers in bloom right now. By the time you get here it will likely be just past the peak, but should still be in bloom. Maybe hike to Cecret Lake (1 mile each way). From here you could go to the Snowbird Center and possibly take a ride on the Tram, eat dinner, and see other activities. Park City is always an option to ride the alpine slide and walk Main Street.

Every Thursday night is Twilight Concert Series which is only 5 dollars per person. Pioneer Park is big enough that you could wander towards the back of the park where the music won't be over bearing. The crowd might be mostly in their 20's but I have seen people with young children too.

Granary Row on 700 South and 300 west happens every Thursday- Sat 6-11. The Sugar House Farmers Market is every Friday night from 4-8, There is a Tuesday evening Farmers Market at Pioneer Park. I believe. Silly Sunday Market in Park City. The Salt Lake County Fair will take place from the 7-10th.

I think they are still having free jazz every Tuesday night around 7:00 at the Galivan Center which is excellent and kid friendly.

Liberty Park or Sugar House Park are always evening options. I could list tons of easy hikes like Donut Falls, Bell Canyon Lower Reservoir, etc.

If you have a full weekend I would hit Moab. There will be plenty to see in Arches and Canyonlands for a weekend. It's about a 4 hour drive each way. Capitol Reef is another weekend option that is about 3 1/2 hours each way from SLC. It will be warm down in the desert though. The Uinta Mountains are closer and will be cooler, but won't have the restaurant and lodging options and you'll be dealing with more bugs rather than heat.

For groceries try the Harmon's downtown on 100 South in between State and 200 East. Pretty much every grocery store has a gluten free section and this store is quite large and should have what you're looking for.

Here are a couple of resources to find events for specific days

www.visitsaltlake.com/events/…

events.cityweekly.net/#/list/2013/08/01

Edited: 4:22 pm, July 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Discovery Gateway Children's Museum
Discovery Gateway...
131 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Liberty Park
Liberty Park
275 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Sugarhouse Park
Sugarhouse Park
81 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah's Hogle Zoo
Utah's Hogle Zoo
704 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
This is the Place Heritage Park
This is the Place...
359 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Big Cottonwood Canyon
Big Cottonwood Canyon
937 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Pioneer Park
Pioneer Park
149 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

Good advice so far and I'll second Moab as a destination for the weekend. Another alternative would be Bryce Canyon. As noted, gluten free is quite common in the area at every major supermarket. Whole Foods (multiple locations) is very good but if you're downtown, the new Harmon's on the eastern side of downtown is sensational. You won't have any problem finding gluten free.

And do come up and visit the cooler air in Park City. In fact, if you wanted to just chill for the weekend and not go down for the desert, come up and get a cheap summer-rate resort room in PC where it's 15-20 degrees cooler than SLC.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,994 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

Another couple of events worth checking out.

http://www.tourofutah.com

http://www.parkcitykimballartsfestival.org

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

Thank You For Your Incredible Recommendations! We Saw The Last Of The Wildflowers. We Checked Out The Red Butte Garden, Tracy Aviary, Did Some Hiking In Little Cottonwood Canyon. Checked Out The Downtown sights And More! Harmon's was exceptional. Thank You, Thank You!

Mentioned in this post
The Tracy Aviary
The Tracy Aviary
407 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,994 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

Glad things worked out and you had some fun. Hopefully we'll see you back next time.

6. Re: What to do in SLC area with toddler and gluten free grocery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2014