We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple Square family lunch restaurant recommendation

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Temple Square family lunch restaurant recommendation

We're passing through SLC and will be doing the touristy things around Temple Square. I'd like a recommendation for a family friendly restaurant for lunch. We have three young children, including a son with ASD, so our "needs" include a place that has high hairs, no loud music, but not a super quiet place where a lack of an 'inside voice' would be frowned upon. Riding the TRAX in the free zone is ok, but we don't want to walk far in the Aug heat. Would love to support a mom n' pop sort of place. Food trucks are probably out because we will want someplace cool to eat. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temple Square family lunch restaurant recommendation

I don't have kids so this is a tricky question that I've never really thought about, but here are a couple of options. I've never been here personally, but since you're already in the area, this might be a place to look into. They supposedly have a great kids menu.

templesquarehospitality.com/restaurants/pant…

Maxwell's on Main St. would probably have things you're looking for, though I wouldn't call it mom and pop. There are a couple of diners on Main Street as well like the Judge and Lamb's that might be worth checking out. There are also favorite local favorite burger joints like Crown Burger or Hires (not in free fare zone, but a block away from a Trax stop on the Red Line).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,553 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temple Square family lunch restaurant recommendation

If your visit is not on a Sunday, you can look at the link mentioned, as well as this info on dining in the area on the official website all of which are said to be good food, but the Lion House Panty or Nauvoo Cafe is more what you are likely looking for, the others are more upscale.

http://www.visittemplesquare.com/dining

Keep in mind if you happen to be visiting on a Sunday most of the places to eat will be closed including the one mentioned. But there is a nice City Creek Mall just basically across the street from Temple Square that has a nice Cheesecake Factory with a large menu, and is family friendly with the type of atmosphere you are talking about , and is open on Sundays.

shopcitycreekcenter.com/dining_entertainment

And heres more info on visiting Temple Square with maps ect.

http://www.visittemplesquare.com/

Parking around the area in the general paid parking is usually free on Weekends. You can usually find parking around Temple Square in the Paid parking lots around the square just across the street basically from the entrance on the North side, unless they are very busy. Its usually around $8 for 4 hours if you are visiting during weekdays.

You can also take a look at my recent review on Temple Square which may be helpful to you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60922-d1035…

Edited: 9:33 pm, July 10, 2013
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
295 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temple Square family lunch restaurant recommendation

I'm on Temple Square all the time and it is very family friendly. There are two restaurants that you would probably really enjoy as a family right on the Square. The first is the Nauvoo Cafe, on the main floor of the Joseph Smith Building. They serve hot sandwiches, tasty pot pies and salads. Its casual and always filled with families. No loud music, lots of windows. (there are two more restaurants on the top floor, but they are more formal...but take the elevator up anyway, there are great viewing areas in the lobbies up there).

Also on the Square is the Lion House Pantry. Its a cafeteria style place, usually with 3-4 specials each day. The rolls are particularly tasty, as is the chocolate cream filled cake (i call it the ding dong cake, but I'm sure it has a more dignified name). The Pantry is in the basement of a historic building (you can take a tour of the building for free) and is casual and always filled with families.

A local restaurant at City Creek (walk out the North Gate of Temple Square and its directly across the street) is the Blue Lemon. Casual atmosphere with trendy food (sweet potato fries, salads, pastas)-you have the choice of eating outside if you like. If you're going to be there, wander across the street to Deseret Book where they have a wall of jars candy and you can fill a bag for about $4 (or the Rocky Mountain Candy Company for a giant caramel apple).

If you want to ride the Trax train over to the Gateway Mall there are several casual chain restaurants.

4. Re: Temple Square family lunch restaurant recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 31, 2014