We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

My husband and I will be flying into Salt Lake City around 1p.m. on Sept. 17th and then fly out to Denver to visit Rocky Mountain NP on the 25th. We have gone around and around as to whether we should head to Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, and the North Rim, or head north and visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone. We visited the South Rim last October and loved it. We live in Florida so this will be a great contrast in scenery, climate and altitude for us. We are thinking about bringing our tent so that we can affordably stay right in the parks. What do you all suggest? Should we head north or south? Would it be too uncomfortable to camp that late in September? How many parks could we do without rushing it too much? Also wondered about rafting at either place. Would really appreciate any input!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

It will definitely be much cooler in Yellowstone than in Moab, maybe 25 degrees on average. You'll need plenty of warm sleeping gear in Wyoming, this time of year. I don't think bears are usually a problem unless people have food out overnight. I would just make sure to get something that can comfortably sleep two people. If you're camping for 11 days, decent nights sleep will be important. You can't simply recline the chairs and call it good. Get something you can put a full sized blow-up mattress or sleeping pads inside, so that you can sleep well.

I'm not sure about rentals. Enterprise or Hertz are usually around 40-dollars a night. A small RV might be four times that much. Renting for 11 nights is going to add up. Sometimes it's cheaper renting from a location not at the airport. Or you could check on transportation from Salt Lake to Jackson Hole and see about rentals in Wyoming. But that's just one more step in the process and pain in the neck rather than the wallet.

sterling heights MI
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

wow, I just rented a car in SLC thru Dollar's website and it was much cheaper than Denver ever has been. Enterprise has the cheapest drop off charges of the big rental agencies. I also agree, skip Yellowstone and do the Utah Parks

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

Hi Ridgeroader!

My husband and I lived in Sterling Heights when we were married.....35 years ago!

I'm curious why you said to skip Yellowstone. My thoughts are that we can always visit the Utah parks on a reasonable Vegas flight. Also, because we visited the Grand Canyon and the surrounding areas last year, I thought it would be more of a contrast to do Yellowstone.

I will check out Dollar's website. The best I have found for our 11 days is about $650 for a mini van....but I did find a car through costcotravel.com with Alamo for $330 for the 11 days-I believe it was a compact or midsize.

We moved away from Michigan 28 years ago, but our blood still flows Maize and Blue!

M E
Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

We too are planning a trip to Yellowstone & Tetons on Sept 21 Weeks ago I requested a Vistors Guide from Salt Lake and found an advertisement from Avis 15% off Enter code AWD#K492100 The best part is that we are going to take the shuttle from the airport to our hotel downtown. We will spend Saturday seeing Temple Square and Sunday morning hearing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and then pick up our car at the Avis location in the hotel. We have a full day of vacation before the meter starts ticking on the price of the rental car. I read that all the airport car rental counters can delay you from starting your vacation because they are so busy and also there is a significant surcharge added at the airport.

Edited: 12:12 pm, August 19, 2013
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

M E thanks for the heads up on the busy rental counters at the airport. We found our rental of a full size car with Enterprise for $261 for the 11 days including tax and fees! I kept checking thru Costco and every time the price would drop, I would rebook it. Last time I checked it was over $400 again! I believe we have an Enterprise account that will allows us to skip the counter, so I'll check into that. There certainly has been a lot to learn and lots of planning required for this trip. We have secured lodging within the park, so that should allow us more time to explore this beautiful place! We sure are excited and I bet you are too!

16. Re: National Parks suggestions for 8 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 21, 2014